Cycling (MTB?) in Amsterdam

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,662
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Hi Guys

It looks like I'm going to take a job in Amsterdam starting in a few months or so! Is there anyone in this fine community that knows of any particular clubs in the area. I would guess there are a lot of road clubs (although one suspects they ll be very good) but If there is a good MTB club then I'd be very keen to join up - for the social side as much as anything else

I know there are some trail centres in N Holland (30km with 20m climbing sort of places :P ) but it would be good to explore more!

Any ideas, cycling or otherwise welcome!
DaveK
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    ddraver wrote:
    Is there anyone in this fine community that knows of any particular clubs in the area.

DaveK

Plenty of particular clubs in the centre of Amstedam. There is one that might be suitable by can't remember it's name but if it's any help it's by a canal :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • ddraver
    tut tut :roll: :wink:
    - @ddraver
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    In my recollections of amsterdam (not many) there didn't seem to be too many good mtb spots. The cyclists are crazy there too, you wouldn't catch me cycling with trams, cars, canals, hookers, those bikes with what looks like an open coffin attached to the front etc!

However saying this, my experiences are pretty much from the center only..
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    Get yourself a ride bike. There are no hills here in the flatlands and it's always windy. In fact when the guys take me to the hills they are more like small 20 metre bumps only. There are loads of trails and forests where you can ride south of Amsterdam just don't expect anything technical. Most of it is very scenic though on a road bike or MTB. The local guys all ride hardtails with skinny tyres. Loads of sporting clubs that do both racing and cover the social side as well.
  • ddraver
    yeah i imagine the MTBing would need some driving/training to S Holland/Belgium but just a club to make friends with would be a great help!
    - @ddraver
  • bobgfish
    Apprently this lists the Cycling clubs in Holland. Hope it helps.

http://www.ntfu.nl/

Hope your Dutch is better than mine
  • ddraver
    Good man Bob!!
    - @ddraver
  • the best place for mtb in the north of the Netherlands is in the sea dunes of Schoorl.
    from Amsterdam you can take the train for about 30 min to a place called Alkmaar, hop on your bike and do a "warmup" ride for 20 minutes to the start of the trail in schoorl.
    it's mostly singletrack that require some skill, about 15 km long lap with the longest clime that's about 350 mtrs with an 11% elavation.

And when you get used to all the trams, cabs and other bikers you can do like i do and ride around Amsterdam and dodge traffic, also a very fun way to unwind ;)

here's a youtube clip someone has put up of the trail
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4226we_mj1U

as for the mtb clubs i have no idea
  • Lived in Amsterdam for about 6 years. I used to pop down to the Ardennes for the weekend. Excellent mountain biking trails down there. Recommend campsite petite strument in la roche - and the beer. Web site Expatica is good for expat clubs, and people in the same situation asyou. you might find some biking buddies on there.
    Gefelicitierd jongen, en beste wensen
  • ddraver
    Many Thanks guys! my mind is definitely being eased!!
    - @ddraver
  • bobgfish
    I live south of Amsterdam. In fact was there riding around with the kids today. Can help with the road miles (Kms) and know a few spots for the MTBing as well. Most of the better MTB riding is well south. Up North here they seem to love riding on beaches and the like. I just can't stomach the thought of all that sand and my good bike. Kitting out the older bike to handle the sand a bit better at the moment. Not seen a full sus in the 12 months I have been here anywhere.