How long do helmets last

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
I got my helmet about 2 - 3years ago now.

Its not broken hasn't been fractured or anything to demand a replacement.

So, was wondering under normal conditions how long should a person expect a helmet to last before it needs replacing?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Don't know but I've just changed mine to this after 2 and a bit years, very happy with it.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/catlike-kompact ... g-helmets/
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Most manufacturers say they should be replaced every two years I think, but MET say their helmets are good for about 8 years (I'll have a look for the link later).

As MET helmets are basically the same as everyone elses, either all helmet are good for 8 years, or everyone else is trying to get you to throw away a perfectly good helmet and buy another one.

I'm assuming that you are not talking about helmets that have been involved in an accident. If you are, I would say chuck it, even if it looks OK.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap Still fine :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Unless it's been involved in some sort of impact, I would say indefinitely. I know they cite reasons like degradation of the foam, etc, etc, but how much of this is really a safety factor that I'm not convinced about.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    mine will last forever, it helps that it rarely moves from under the desk
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    If you haven't had a fall on it should be good for a few years.

I think most manufactures quote some where from 5 to 7 years due to the material breaking down due to UV radiation.

I mainly ride off road in my spare time so have lots of falls every year so I tend to replace mine every year.
  • I replace mine when I have the money doing nothing else, had a couple for 2 & 3 years, they seem fine, I still like em, I'm christmas and pay freeze skint so they're going to last a while longer yet.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Until you land on it.

Given that they have a plastic coating and the sun light levels here are pretty low (especially today) I think the UV degradation is BS they just want you to spend more money. They are a one shot deal though so if you give them a good whack then replace.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Mine should last forever as it only comes out for sportives, damn officials and their rules grrrr
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Simon... you fapping over a ddd post? yuk

Motorcycle helmets have that use by date don't they... what if you have one but it's not really used that much, does it degrade? Same principal for bike helmets?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    itboffin wrote:
    Mine should last forever as it only comes out for sportives, damn officials and their rules grrrr

Yeah- key point is what you bought it for. If it was to look good, then you need to replace it when it looks tatty or out of fashion.
    If you bought it for protection then apply the same logic you did when you bought it and assess whether you think it still offers the protection you were looking for then or whether there's a "better" product on the market that justifies replacement.

I got mine to set an example to my kids (I reckon helmets are useful for people that are likely to topple off at low speed, especially if they don't have fully formed skulls). It doesn't get used very often, as I rarely get the opportunity to cycle with the family, so it's lasting well.

Cheers,
    W.
  • SimonAH
    Motorcycle lids always used to have a four-drop sticker on the back of them, you peeled off a quarter of the sticker each time it had a significant knock and then replaced the lid.

I would assume something similar for bike helmets but reduce it to one significant (ie your head is in it) bang.

The UV issue I would take with a very good pinch of NaCl, the only thing exposed to UV is the gel coat on the surface of a bike helmet and not either the hard shell nor the decellerating padding. Unless the paint on your lid looks like an unrestored 70's cortina then I reckon you've not got any significant UV damage.

Mind you.... if I was a cycle courier in Death Valley or sub-saharan Africa then perhaps I'd worry more about UV damage. Residing, as I do, in Gwent it is never going to keep me awake at night.

• Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    SimonAH wrote:
    Motorcycle lids always used to have a four-drop sticker on the back of them, you peeled off a quarter of the sticker each time it had a significant knock and then replaced the lid.

I'd never heard that, and I have about 6 motorbike lids sitting around the house !
    With a motorbike lid, the padding compresses with use and eventually the lid no longer fits snugly, which is when I replace it. The old one, padding removed, makes a fine hanging basket.

My bicycle helmet, otoh, is ~10 years old and still going strong. It only really gets used for MTBing. Don't leave it sitting in direct sunlight and it'll last for ever...
    Misguided Idealist
  • paulus69
    paulus69 Posts: 160
    SimonAH wrote:

I would assume something similar for bike helmets but reduce it to one significant (ie your head is in it) bang.

There is something called shock watches and they are single use stickers that change colour when exposed to a certain level of G force, I am sure they could bring one out tuned to the bike market.

As for the UV exposure issue, surely 90% of that only affects the thing plastic cover of the helmet and not the impact absorbing material.

Saying all of that I would change mine every 18 - 24 months for a nicer prettier model!
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
    Specialized Secteur 2012 / Carrera Vulcan v-spec
  • My £8 Tchibo foam hat's straps have gone quite wonky after 5 years so I decided to splash out on a £19 (on sale) Specialized Align. Figured I didn't want my helmet to be the -cause- of injury!
    Way more comfy and better looking too.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    SimonAH wrote:

The UV issue I would take with a very good pinch of NaCl, the only thing exposed to UV is the gel coat on the surface of a bike helmet and not either the hard shell nor the decellerating padding. Unless the paint on your lid looks like an unrestored 70's cortina then I reckon you've not got any significant UV damage.

Mind you.... if I was a cycle courier in Death Valley or sub-saharan Africa then perhaps I'd worry more about UV damage. Residing, as I do, in Gwent it is never going to keep me awake at night.

I remember those days - I think they just have certification stickers on now. However, you are told not to put certain adhesives on them as they can damage the lid's shell....
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,165
    If any helmet of mine lasted 8 years I'd expect it would smell so rank I wouldn't want to wear it...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Philcho
    Philcho Posts: 57
    I could really do with investing in a lid...Though i've only ever came off of my bike once at around 15-20 mph and suffered mild concussion so i figure it'll no doubt end up in the back of the garage covered in dust...hmm any recommendations?
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Philcho wrote:
    I could really do with investing in a lid...Though i've only ever came off of my bike once at around 15-20 mph and suffered mild concussion so i figure it'll no doubt end up in the back of the garage covered in dust...hmm any recommendations?

Yeah - don't.
  • SimonAH
    Embarrassed to admit it but I only wear my helmet when I'm out with the miniAH (got to lead by example). I've got one of those matt black Tony Hawk by Bell jobs that I reckon would absolutely give the best protection if you did stack badly but I just don't like wearing a lid. TBH there has been many a time on the deserted mountain roads on my 750 Kwak that I've hooked the lid over an elbow and hammered it in shades alone for the sheer joy of the wind at seventy plus. Neither sane, legal nor responsible - but one of the greatest joys in life. Want to live forever?

• EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Most manufacturers say they should be replaced every two years I think, but MET say their helmets are good for about 8 years (I'll have a look for the link later).

As MET helmets are basically the same as everyone elses, either all helmet are good for 8 years, or everyone else is trying to get you to throw away a perfectly good helmet and buy another one.

I'm assuming that you are not talking about helmets that have been involved in an accident. If you are, I would say chuck it, even if it looks OK.

Spot on!
    An honest manufacturer: MET
    The Italian company MET says in their 2010 catalog:

"We are often asked 'For how long is a helmet safe?', or 'how often should I replace my helmet?”' Until now it has been difficult to find any reliable figures to help answer these queries. MET have now developed a series of tests which are conducted on aged helmets to determine a 'best before' date (unless the helmet is involved in an accident. In that case it should be replaced immediately.). The results indicate that, if used properly accordingly to our owner manual, our helmets will still do their job up to eight years after they have been made. Not only is that good news for the customer, it’s great news for the environment!"

We applaud MET for undertaking an actual testing program on helmet life and for making that statement. We regard it as a triumph of integrity over marketing. MET's helmets are made with industry standard shells and liners, so there is no reason we can see that their recommendation should not be good for many other helmet brands as well. If another manufacturer comes up with a testing program that shows earlier deterioration in the protection from their products we will review this page.

In sum, we don't find the case for replacing a helmet that meets the ASTM or Snell standards that compelling if the helmet is still in good shape and fits you well.

and the link can be found here and that also links to the MET calalouge website.

I use a Veleno D so very happy at that news! :D
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Philcho wrote:

Yes, hope that the next time you come off your head does not hit the kerb without a helmet.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    SimonAH wrote:
    ...TBH there has been many a time on the deserted mountain roads on my 750 Kwak that I've hooked the lid over an elbow and hammered it in shades alone for the sheer joy of the wind at seventy plus. Neither sane, legal nor responsible - but one of the greatest joys in life. Want to live forever?

+1. Not so much hammering, but a lidless motorbike ride down a country road in the sun is a happy thing.
    Misguided Idealist
  • No helmet on a motorbike......

The last time I did that was on a sidevalve BSA on the Pilgrim's Way heading towards Brands Hatch. Goggles and a flat 'at turned backwards......

Not that I'd condone such behaviour. Obviously....

(how many cylinders did the 750 Kawasaki have...? 3?)

The other extreme was going around the Paris périphérique during the evening rush hour; I was very glad to be wearing a helmet! 2 lanes of cars doing 50mph, bikes going between them at 70 and more.
    Unwashed (but well-lubricated) fixed thing, jeans, DMs - FCN 7(?)