Hiring A racing bike for 4 months for a charity ride

harryowen1960
harryowen1960 Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
Does anybody know if I can hire a racing road bike for the next foour months, to train for and then do the London to Paris Charity Ride in April.

Thanks

H

Comments

• vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Buy a cheap bike in sale like this

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 730c009320

Then sell it in the summer. Bikes are more in demand then so you will get a good price
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    4 months of hire would likely cost more than to buy a bike anyway.
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    Buy a bike, sell it when you're done (if you don't want to keep riding it).
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    Agree with Danowat. I think when Triandrun hired their bikes out, it was about £70 per week. Buy as Vorsprung's post, or buy yourself a second hand one around £200-£300 with emphasis on the correct sized bike. It's likely that in those 4 months you'll be taken in by the Lycra-camaraderie and be firmly bitten by the cycling bug too.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Budget on paying about as much as the bike again in kit - clothes, helmets, shoes etc.

Cycling is so addictive though - I couldnt imagine training for one event and then jacking it in after that.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Even if you buy a good second-hand bike, if you take good care of it you can sell it on fro close to what you paid for it in 4 month's time.

FWIW - I went on a charity ride (London-Paris) a few years ago, and people showed up on bikes that were either £99 Halford's specials - or 20 years old. (There were nice bikes too - but it shows it's more about the rider, than the bike).
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Buy then keep or sell.
    Note that racing folk often have winter training road bikes that accept proper bolt-on mudguards for wet winter roads. You can use clip-on ones but they are not as effective.
  • I will hire you my Giant Defy 3.5 for 4 months for £800, thats the bargain price of £200 per month and I wont even charge mileage, and as an added bonus If you like it you can keep it for another £400 at the end of the term! lol!

seriously though for the amount of miles your going to do in the 4 months pop into your LBS and tell them your situation and budget. they will sort you out with something and there's nothing quite like your own bike!

Bobby
    getting faster, fitter, and skinnier by the day!
  • As above I would buy then sell when you're done with it. I have done this a few times in my quest to find the right bike for my needs and have always got a good price back for a looked after bike.

This looks really good value at £350 as it's an end of line model (was £500). I'd be pretty confident of getting £200+ back for it in 4 months if it's looked after. Total cost less than a tenner a week, doubt you could hire one for that.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/sport-2-51-63-69567479/
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Hiring has advantages.
    Not as expensive as you think.
    Flexible.
    Less Hassle.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Buy then sell.

EG: me. Bought 2010 CAAD8 in a sale at £450 (down from £650). Sold it earlier this year for £300. So I got 3 years' use for £150. Bargain :D

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Buy a bike, ride it for 4 months. Keep it and ride it for 40 years.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    That ride can easily be done on a 2 wheeled tricycle. Any old hack will do.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    That ride can easily be done on a 2 wheeled tricycle. Any old hack will do.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    check the date on the posts.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • mattbabs
    mattbabs Posts: 86
    Well spotted. Also the guy who originally posted hasn't been on the forums since so we will never find out what he decided to do!
  • RideOnTime
    He went to Paris and was never seen again... Does he not know that the internet is everywhere!!!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    mattbabs wrote:
    Well spotted. Also the guy who originally posted hasn't been on the forums since so we will never find out what he decided to do!

Probably tried it on a 2 wheel trike ....
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Apparently he did it and raised six grand for charideeeee. Good effort.
    (but what bike did he take ???)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    cougie wrote:
    Apparently he did it and raised six grand for charideeeee. Good effort.
    (but what bike did he take ???)

Yeah, screw the charidddeeeeeee.

The bike: was it Alloy? Carbon? metal??? Campag, SRAM or Shimano? Did he wear a helmet?

We need to know.

:D

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I want to know what crank length did he have, and was it a poxy compact chainset :D
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    What setback did he have on his seatpost?
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    But, well bumped by RoT who has a bike hire co? :D
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • RideOnTime
    A admit to searching on bike hire and not noticing the date.

Now we just need to know what happened.

Madeline McGann.
    Hillsborough.
    Malaysian Airline.

Its on that list...