Aaaaarrrrgh cramp

Harry B
Harry B Posts: 1,239
edited January 2011 in Amateur race
I'm back riding again after about 6 weeks out due to the weather, work and illness. I went out and did a gentle 20 miles on Sunday without any problems other than leaving a trail of snot behind me. On Tusday I cycled home from work and got a bit of cramp in my right calf after about 12 miles. This soon wore off and everything was fine. Yesterday when I was riding home the cramp came back in the same muscle after about 10 miles and it was really painful. I could feel a knot moving around in my calf as I was cycling. After a few miles it wore off a bit but then I started to get cramp in my other calf. Finally I started to get cramp in my right thigh. I managed to get home and my lovely wife kindly gave me a massage which made things a bit better. I've rode in this morning only from the train station which is about 5 miles from work and will be riding all the way home this evening.

Any tips on how to avoid cramp? I try to drink plenty of water during the day and I don't think my sodium intake is too low. I've got a couple of bananas to eat (to help with potassium intake). I'm hoping once the muscles get used to it again the cramps will disappear but does anyone have any other tips in the meantime?

Comments

• cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Hi Harry,
    I've had exactly that when I've tried to go from winter to race training. The cramp kept occurring over a couple days, even disabled me at work. I knew I was in trouble because I could feel a lump of muscle that wouldn't relax. So, I got in touch with a sports masseur and had him do a session on it. It was very,very painful because it involved him massaging the muscle with his elbow. He got it to relax and I then had to use it very lightly after that. I'm not sure that taking extra chemicals is the answer. May be you're needing to get a few more miles in especially after illness.
    P.S. Having your lovely Wife do a lovely massage on it is nice but ask her to to put some elbow into it next time and if you do go down that path get something to bite on. Also, for her to put a sock underneath her elbow because from experience women's elbows can be quite sharp. :lol::lol:
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.