Spud shoes

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Bit of a long story but...

I've been getting a bit of pain in my left leg and think it may be because my leg is at the wrong angle when I'm pedalling (it just feels like my leg is twisted when I stand a certain way). So I decided to try and reposition my cleats however because the shoes were second hand and I've had the cleats in the same position as the previous owner they keep slipping back into the old position.

And then it hit me, get some new shoes (whilst I can afford them and before the old ones disintegrate). So I'm looking for replacements for my Shimano MT-30s.

Any recomendations?

Comments

• nich
    nich Posts: 888
    You could get the same :)

I can't really fault my Shimano ones. They look similar to yours but have a velcro strap to keep the laces from getting tangled up. I only realized this the other day, but I've had them for 10 years!! :)

Over christmas I did treat myself to some Specialized Tahoe. They get pretty good reviews, but this is more so I have a spare set of shoes if one pair get soaked ;)
  • Shoes are a personal thing as all feet are not the same go to a bike shop and see what is comfortable.I thought the ladies loved an excuse to go shoe shopping? peaple will only recommend what is comfy on their feet and it`s not their feet that will be wearing them it`s yours...isn`t this what got you in this mess in the first place ?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Shimano MT31s?
    http://www.planetfear.com/item/Brand_sh ... 803_1.html
    :wink:

I have some Spesh Tahoe MTB shoes which are nice. Is it MTB-type shoes you are looking for? Road shoes tend to be a bit clip-clop at the other end (esp with SPD cleats - Keo cleats seem better and the "red" ones have lots of freedom on the pedal)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Philcho
    Philcho Posts: 57
    I have a pair of sidi eagle 5 pros, they're nice but very expensive. :oops: Though no complaints because they are comfortable and do the job well! Not to mention i didn't buy them :roll:
  • suzyb
    CarbonCopy wrote:
    Shoes are a personal thing as all feet are not the same go to a bike shop and see what is comfortable.I thought the ladies loved an excuse to go shoe shopping? peaple will only recommend what is comfy on their feet and it`s not their feet that will be wearing them it`s yours...isn`t this what got you in this mess in the first place ?
    I generally hate clothe shopping although footwear is at least bareable as I can usually find footwear to fit me.

I'll maybe just wait until I can get to a shop. Mother wants to go to Braehead and there happens to be an Evans next door :wink:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Spesh BG MTB awesome shoes for commuting

oh and a nice leg rub will help no end :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    suzyb wrote:
    Mother wants to go to Braehead and there happens to be an Evans next door :wink:

What a great idea - I'm at Yorkhill until Monday with my son. I'll take a trip over there to try on an Ionos lid (and maybe some Oakleys... 8) )
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    itboffin wrote:

+ a million.

I will always use spesh shoes from now on.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    itboffin wrote:

oh and a nice leg rub will help no end :wink:

+1 Had my pair a few years now, and aside from normal wear, they're still going strong. Pretty easy to dry out after a soaking as well, which is important for commuting, particularly in Scotland :P
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    prawny wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

+ a million.

I've got these too. I specifically like the ratchet mechanism. Had them for almost 4 years now I think.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    notsoblue wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

+ a million.

I've got these too. I specifically like the ratchet mechanism. Had them for almost 4 years now I think.

+1 to the recommendations
    Have Spesh BG elite/expert mtb shoes, velcro straps
    They're great
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Got a pair of Shimano MT71s for my Birthday.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... e-ec025519

Expensive but so far after 100 miles including 25 in the wet / rain very happy with them.

Although it took me a while to realise that the pain in my knee was because the sole is thicker than old shoes therefor saddle needed to be a higher. Still easy fix!

--

Chris
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • As said above, try several pairs on and find what is comfortable for you. Don't be afraid to ask in Evans whether you can walk up and down some stairs in them. That should give a better idea of their flexibility and capabilities off-bike. Take your thickest cycling socks along, too, to see the most you are going to try to fit in to them.

Personally I've found the Shimano shoes nice and wide. Although the Specialized BG provide a better support platform for cycling while still being very walkable, they lack the width I need (well, on the £100 ratchet ones, I'm going to try some of the £60 velcro strapped ones soon). Evans should have a reasonable selection of both brands to try. Don't be afraid to try mens ones - if they come in your size. For some makes (Northwave come to mind), my wife found the male versions fitted her better.

As different Evans carry different stock, it may be worth giving them a call a few days before to see what they have in your size and asking if they'll get some other styles in for your visit, too. Worth trying, as the worst they can do is say "no".
  • meanredspider
    suzyb wrote:
    Mother wants to go to Braehead and there happens to be an Evans next door :wink:

What a great idea - I'm at Yorkhill until Monday with my son. I'll take a trip over there to try on an Ionos lid (and maybe some Oakleys... 8) )

I was actually a bit disappointed - nothing like to stock I was hoping for given the web presence - though far more bikes than I was expecting. Only about 6 Giro lids on display - more than half were MTB. Did get to try an Ionos which was good because I didn't find it as comfortable as I'd hoped. Came away empty-handed.
  • suzyb
    Did you notice how big a selection of shoes they had.
  • meanredspider
    suzyb wrote:

I did - it wasn't fantastic either (or as good as I was expecting given the size of the shop). I'd certainly give them a call before venturing over there.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    As said above, try several pairs on and find what is comfortable for you. Don't be afraid to ask in Evans whether you can walk up and down some stairs in them. That should give a better idea of their flexibility and capabilities off-bike. Take your thickest cycling socks along, too, to see the most you are going to try to fit in to them.

Personally I've found the Shimano shoes nice and wide. Although the Specialized BG provide a better support platform for cycling while still being very walkable, they lack the width I need (well, on the £100 ratchet ones, I'm going to try some of the £60 velcro strapped ones soon). Evans should have a reasonable selection of both brands to try. Don't be afraid to try mens ones - if they come in your size. For some makes (Northwave come to mind), my wife found the male versions fitted her better.

As different Evans carry different stock, it may be worth giving them a call a few days before to see what they have in your size and asking if they'll get some other styles in for your visit, too. Worth trying, as the worst they can do is say "no".

Also as I found out just becuase they are not on display doesn't mean they don't have the shoe out back.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    +1 to trying them out in the shop.
    Based on all the recommendations I'd heard for the Spesh BG MTB shoes, I tried a pair in Evans, but they're not wide enough for me. I then found some Time MTB Carbon shoes online for all of about £20, so took a chance on them and they fit fine :-)

Not following my own advice there, am I ?
    Misguided Idealist
  • suzyb
    suzyb wrote:

I did - it wasn't fantastic either (or as good as I was expecting given the size of the shop). I'd certainly give them a call before venturing over there.
    I'll wait until Mother decides she wants to go to braehead then instead of making a specific trip.

If I don't find anything I could always pop into Dales cycles on the way home.
  • Cleat Alignment.
    As a guide, sit on a wall/table and let your legs dangle and look at your feet. Try to set your cleats up so that your feet are in a similar position. (i.e. heels in/out)
    Old injuries make my right foot slightly less 'heel-in' than my left, and i've set mine accordingly.
    As far as shoes go, I'm a Sidi fan.

Treat yourself to new cleats too
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • So SuzyB how did the shoe and pain thing pan out did you get to the botom of it
  • suzyb
    Not yet. Been working on site for a couple of weeks and busy on the weekends so haven't had a chance to get to the shops yet.
  • http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... le#reviews

These are great shoes, hardwearing - I'm onto my 2nd pair ~ 3 years, 3 x straps really let you fine tune the grip on your foot, they happily take a thin summer sock and a doubled up winter layer including my sealskinz waterproof thickies, they're comfy on and off the bike - as long as its not really wet pavement- I can walk about town quite happily in them even with cleats fitted (they recess but not all the way in) & I've given up changing shoes when I know I'm in mufti at work, they look very 'normal' shoe like, theres a nice thick insole that really moulds to your foot, and they hold nicely round your heel/ankle without rubbing of flapping and letting water in when its tipping down - not waterproof against heavy rain though but do dry out quickly if they get wet.

Leisure lakes are knocking the ladies ones out at half price too