Mega Avalanche race 2011

kathg
kathg Posts: 142
edited May 2011 in Women
Well, registration time is nearly upon us and my OH is def entering this year and I'm very tempted...I don't want to go there and then really kick myself for not having a go but equally I'm quite gripped about the whole thing!! :shock: So, have any of you girls out there done it before? If yes, what was it like? Any info and tips gratefully received.. More to the point is anyone else entering it this year? It would be great to have a little 'Mega' support group thing going on to compare preparation, training and motivation etc.

Hopefully I'm not the only mad bugger out here considering it!!! :D

Kathg

Comments

• lexiekay
    lexiekay Posts: 379
    I rode the course last year but a couple of weeks after the race. Fun but parts were really quite hard - dont know what it'd be like with hundreds of other people doing it!
    I'd say give it a go if you're into racing and have done a bit of downhilling before.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Never done it, but I agree with lexiekay above.... If you're into downhill then I would say give it a go as you'll regret it otherwise! If not, then it's possibly a bit of a biggie to take on - but fair play to you if you do!!

I'm really an xc rider - I enjoy a bit of non-scary downhill stuff, but this would be way too far out of my comfort zone!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • miss notax
    Hmmm, sorry to resurrect and old thread but my OH has been mumbling about the Mega Avalanche for years - and for some reason over the past few months I have changed from thinking 'you nutter' to 'this looks vaguely interesting' :shock: :shock:

I am definitely NOT a DH rider and have no intention of doing it anytime soon, but maybe something to aim for in a couple of years?

kathg - how is your preparation going?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• DanielleT
    DanielleT Posts: 259
    I'd love to do the mega one year, did some DHing in the area last year and loved it so it definately on the to do list. Think i'd hang on to the back of the group though so I wouldn't get ploughed down by the faster guys and girls! :lol:
    delightfully dangerous!
  • kathg
    Hiya all,
    Yes, preparation going well ( ish)! Had a nasty off on a rocky run in Spain in Feb and broke ribs but been back on bike for few weeks now and feeling good! My confidence is pretty good too after the tumble :D which is a relief!
    Had fantastic one to one coaching session at Foel Gasnach DH runs with Ally Cambell (Campbell coaching) who is one awesome coach and all round good laugh sort of girl.. She has ridden the Mega a few times and gave me loads of great advice and stuff to work on. But me and my trusty Orange 5 will be aiming to make it down the course, probably at the back!!
    I will keep you all informed and let you know how I get on!

KathG
  • I've done it a few times and it's great fun. Def a must do event. Lots of people walk the trickiest bits so if you see stuff in practise that scares you don't let is put you off, you won't be the only one. Plus with race adrenalin you'll ride stuff you wouldn't normally!

I'm not a DH rider, and had only been riding a few years when I first went and still had a great time.

If you stick towards the back then it's a bit easier, plus there are fewer girls so our start isn't as manic as the boys start.

It seems that girls are put off / worried they're not good enough, while less experienced/technically skilled guys really want to do it. Yes it's tough, yes there are lots of difficult sections, but like anything you can take it as you want and just look at completing it as being an achievement!

The training with Ally must have been fantastic, she is an awesome rider and does really well in the Mega.

Enjoy it!
  • kathg
    Hi Sara, thanks for the words of wisdom and encouragement! Me and Rob (my partner) are staying with you and Flow in Alpe D'Huez for the race and previous week :D .
    Really looking forward to it and getting all the inside info from the experts.. Are there any other girls doing the race staying with Flow this year? Always good to have some moral support on the mountain... feeling slightly sick with excitement and nerves already so god knows what it'll be like on the day of the qualifier and race itself... !

see you in July

Kath
  • sara flowmtb
    sara flowmtb Posts: 118
    Hi Kath, we have a few couples staying so you won't be the only girl! We also have Petra Wiltshire (Masters World Champ in DH and many time Mega racer) on the flowmtb Mega staff, so you'll have inside info from a real expert!

Keep at it!

Sara
  • miss notax
    Hmmmm, I look forward to chatting to you about this when we are in Morzine in the summer, Sara, and to hearing about Kath's experience :D

I think Notax (Chris) and I are quite keen to do this next year.... :shock:

• teeRider
    teeRider Posts: 5
    Hi, everyone.

I have just registered for the Mega, and am properly cacking it now. I didn't manage to persuade any of my female biking pals to join me, so will be the only girl in our gang. It would be great to meet some other girls doing it - having done Air Maiden a couple of times and Diva Descent recently, I know how much more fun and supportive girls can be to ride with.

I rode the Mega trail last summer, so I have a very vague idea of what I'm letting myself in for. I definitely plan to hang at the back, and will be happy to just complete it!
  • kathg
    Hey there teerider :D ... same situation as me.. none of my riding buddies were up for it either! Oh well, I'll be with you at the back you then. I've never done a race before but figured since I'll not be actually 'racing' down the course that wouldn't matter!!

Are you going out for the week before or just for the race? Me and my OH are going out week before to get some practise in, we're staying in Alpe D'Huez, what about you? I'd love to meet up with some other girls out there and maybe session some of the tricky bits in supportive company!
  • teeRider
    We'll be there for the whole week, but we haven't organised any accommodation yet. We've got a campervan, but it might be nice to get an apartment or chalet if the weather's crap. Just need to find something cheap though. We'll try to get in Alpe D'Huez if we can.

We should definitely try and hook up.
  • kathg
    Great... let me know when you know where you are staying. We are staying with 'Flow' in the old town somewhere? When I know the name of the Chalet/hotel I'll let you know. :D
  • teeRider
    A couple of my mates (male) are staying with Flow too.