Bloody Ice

Initialised
Initialised Posts: 3,047
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
5326739472_31a9443d00_z.jpg
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Ouch! Yep, I'll bet it was bloody.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Ouch!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • ouch mate!

nearly came off on sunday myself!

black ice! going about 25mph i would of been in hospital if i came off my bike!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • That picture looks like pain.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Ouch looks painful

You know if you had smooth shaved like a laydee legs that would/will be easier to keep clean, just saying ....

:roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    So far this winter I have avoided all ice related ouchness

Thanks to the magic of Schwalbe Winter Marathons
  • Philcho
    Philcho Posts: 57
    PAIN! I suppose i'm lucky not to have come off yet although i am on the MTB so the nobblies help quite abit with traction.
  • Initialised
    It didn't hurt, still doesn't, just looks bad but it's a mere flesh would. I only realised how bad it was when I got to work and had a look. My shoulder and thumb still do.

I wasn't really going fast, but down hill, joining Scotswood road at the Netto mini roundabout. Landed on my helmet, almost on top of my head, so it could have been a lot worse.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Initialised
    itboffin wrote:
    Ouch looks painful

You know if you had smooth shaved like a laydee legs that would/will be easier to keep clean, just saying ....

That crossed my mind after I covered it in spray-on skin.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    itboffin wrote:
    Ouch looks painful

Just shave the effected area and see what you think :lol:

What's the worst that could happen :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Initialised
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Ouch looks painful

Just shave the effected area and see what you think :lol:

What's the worst that could happen :roll:
    I'm not sure I'm ready for that level of commitment just yet.
  • There was I looking forward to my first commute of the new year on Tuesday. Got bike out of garage, no sign of frost or nastiness. Rode down the drive and went to turn left to go up the road - bike goes one way, I go down the other like a sack of spuds.

Trouble standing up again because of the black ice.

Wife persuades me to drive car to work. Go to hospital later because pain in ribs getting worse.

Yup, I have a cracked rib, usual advice about no lifting etc... but what's really pi**ed me off is I'm told I can't ride bike until pain is gone - maybe 6 weeks.

So feeling foolish and frustrated. Still at least the bike isn't damaged as it landed on me!
  • Initialised
    @Easy Ouch, sounds like I got off lightly compared to you. Get over it soon.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Easyriding wrote:
    Yup, I have a cracked rib, usual advice about no lifting etc... but what's really pi**ed me off is I'm told I can't ride bike until pain is gone - maybe 6 weeks.

So feeling foolish and frustrated. Still at least the bike isn't damaged as it landed on me!

You can ride.

I slipped on holiday (waterfight with the kids) and busted a few ribs. Was mightily painful for about a week, but once home I got back on the bike. I wasn't able to get out of the saddle, but I plodded on.

Get back on the bike as soon as you can. PS 6 weeks is about right for it to heal fully, although you may be in some pain for a bit longer.