Ribble Winter Trainer or Verenti Kilmeston

Stuey01
Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
edited February 2011 in Road buying advice
For winter training miles and commuting duties.

Can have the Verenti with SRAM Rival with some shortcuts (chainset and brakes) for £750.

The Ribble with a full SRAM Rival group comes in at £742.

SRAM is my preference as it will match my best bike that has SRAM Force.

So there isn't much in it price wise. Both have alu frame, carbon fork with alu steerer, both come with full guards. Both will take a rack should I decide to put one on. Both are well reviewed.

The Ribble is slightly better spec'd for slightly less money so that may swing it.

What would you do?
Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur

Comments

• jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I will watch this poll with interest as am pondering exactly the same thing myself. I was looking at a cross bike as a do it all winter bike, but ditched it due to the fact there were lots of reports of poor breaking performance with cantis.

As far as I can tell the Ribble appears to be cheaper for the same spec, but the Vernenti perhaps looks nicer. Obviously with the Ribble you can change the spec too. Are you set on Rival? I also don't think the Ribble looks that great, and perhaps the Verenti looks nicer....

I think if you could pick both up that may decide it for you but obviously you can't.....

Let me know what you decide... I'm not voting as it's a tight choice. You could ride the Verenti on Wiggle's test ride and evaluate it and see if it meets your needs? I would be loathed to send it back though personally as I feel once you've "bought" it you are under some sort of obligation to keep it.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    the Ribble has tight clearance for guards so only really takes 23 tyres with guards. If the wiggle bike can take wider tyres with guards then it makes more sense. With a rack and panniers a wider tyre provides more protection. Also 25c tyres are nice on a winter bike for comfort.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd go for the Verenti due to the tyre size / guard clearance issue. (I have 25s and full guards on my racelight TK)
  • Stuey01
    Jeepie,
    Not set on Rival. I'd be happy enough with Apex, or if I must 105 as Shimano 10sp wheels/cassette would still be compatible with best bike.
    I would like SRAM shifters just so it is consistent in usage.

I think the Verenti may be a slightly more relaxed ride, based on the descriptions but would love to hear opinions from those who have ridden either or both.
  • Stuey01
    The tyre size could be a deciding factor. Didn't realise the Ribble was so tight. I was planning on running 23s most of the time but would like the option to go to Open Paves at 24mm, or maybe 25s.

Anybody know for definite that 25s and guards can be accomodated on the Verenti?
  • I prefer the looks of the Ribble personally and I'd be happy to have a slightly cheaper Sram Apex groupset for £670 as a special edition option.

The Ribble frame has more traditional geometry - long top tube and low head tube whereas the Veranti has more sportive/compact geometry. This would be the deciding factor for me.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!
  • I have the ribble trainer and it is very stiff and uncomfortable. If you plan on doing plenty of miles and spend alot of time on it i would look elsewhere. They are good value and bombproof to be fair.
    Try a giant scr ?
    PART TIME WASTER
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    From Wiggle's Q&A, it only takes 25mm with guards, which most people also manage to fit on the Ribble.

That would lean me towards an Apex equipped Ribble.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    SNACK-HEAD wrote:
    I have the ribble trainer and it is very stiff and uncomfortable. If you plan on doing plenty of miles and spend alot of time on it i would look elsewhere. They are good value and bombproof to be fair.
    Try a giant scr ?

The fact that Ribble sell so many indicates to me that any degree of discomfort you experience is more likely due to incorrect fitting rather than the frame itself being inherently uncomfortable.
  • TMR
    Stuey01 wrote:
    For winter training miles and commuting duties.

Can have the Verenti with SRAM Rival with some shortcuts (chainset and brakes) for £750.

The Ribble with a full SRAM Rival group comes in at £742.

SRAM is my preference as it will match my best bike that has SRAM Force.

So there isn't much in it price wise. Both have alu frame, carbon fork with alu steerer, both come with full guards. Both will take a rack should I decide to put one on. Both are well reviewed.

The Ribble is slightly better spec'd for slightly less money so that may swing it.

What would you do?

I don't think you're really comparing like with like. The Ribble equivalent of the Verenti Kilmeston is this:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/specialed ... ERC&bike=1
  • True they do sell plenty, as i said good value. However you get what you pay for . The i-phone sold millions yet still had faults. All 6 of my bikes fit the same and are all great all day machines. The ribble has a rather long top tube so you can size down when selecting your frame resulting in smaller triangles, which equal stiffer set up.
    PART TIME WASTER
  • Stuey01
    I don't think you're really comparing like with like. The Ribble equivalent of the Verenti Kilmeston is this:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/specialed ... ERC&bike=1

Similar price, same material, same group, same wheels, supplied with guards, can also fit a rack...

Seem pretty similar to me. How is the one you link to more similar to the Kilmeston? Does it take guards?
  • TMR
    Stuey01 wrote:
    Similar price, same material, same group, same wheels, supplied with guards, can also fit a rack...

Seem pretty similar to me. How is the one you link to more similar to the Kilmeston? Does it take guards?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant in terms of geometry. The price is similar also.
  • TMR
    SNACK-HEAD wrote:
    True they do sell plenty, as i said good value. However you get what you pay for . The i-phone sold millions yet still had faults. All 6 of my bikes fit the same and are all great all day machines. The ribble has a rather long top tube so you can size down when selecting your frame resulting in smaller triangles, which equal stiffer set up.

You could apply that to more than the Ribble though surely? Steel, while stiff, still has a degree of comfort. I've ridden an Enigma Extensor and I wouldn't class that as anything other than sublime from a comfort perspective.
  • Thepole
    Thepole Posts: 13
    I don't like the paint schemes on any of the verenti bikes, however haven't seen a bad review on one. The ribble audax has been popular for years so must be pretty good at its job.
  • Stuey01
    Thanks for all the input guys.

I haven't yet made a decision, though the Ribble has moved from being an afterthought to a contender based on your answers.

I'm now looking at a few more options as well:

Kona Honky Tonk 2010 - £500 I like the price, I like the looks, I like that it is steel, but I don't like the Sora shifters. Fits full guards, rack would share eyelets. Maybe I could live with sora for the money saving, undecided.

Pinnacle Sentinal 3.0 2010 - £649. I like the price, I like the 105 group, I don't know what to make of the Evans own brand frame and fork. Takes guard but rack would share eyelets. They look ok, not worried about the brand but don't want to buy a lemon and reviews are few and far between.

Cannondale Synapse Alu 2011 - Sora £699, Tiagra £849. Cannondale have re-intorduced the Alu Synapse in 2011 and they have made it to take guards this year. a rack would be sharing eyelets. Love the brand, love the frame and fork, don't love the sora group on the model that is comparable in price to everything else I'm looking at.

So in summary I'm not much closer to making a decision than I was a week ago. I suspect heart will rule head and I'll end up going for the Cannondale.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Just to bring this one back to life - what did you go for in the end? I'm looking at the Verenti Kilmeston at the moment and am after opinions about the durability/suitability of the wheel set in terms of carrying a loaded rack for a LEJOG ride. I was originally going to do it on my Tricross but am having second thoughts.
    FCN 2 to 8