Riding Technique advise

simonekarl
simonekarl Posts: 48
edited January 2011 in MTB general
There doesn't seem to be a forum dedicated to riding technique, so please excuse me if this isn't the right place.

I ride a standard Trek Fuel ex8, but have changed the tyres to Maxxis Advantage, I am 5'8" and weigh 80kg.

My problem is that I seem to loose the front end alot. This never happened on any of my previous bikes. I've played with pressures and tyres etec, but in the tight, techy, rooty, or soft loamuy bits my front will always wash out. It has began to frustrate and ruin my enjoyment, I was wondering if anyone more experienced has some advise, is it my riding style (not enough weight over the bars, or too much weight over the bars etc) or maybe a shorter stem will help?

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
D
2022 Specialized Crux Comp Gravel destroyer
Single speed 46x16 Traffic eliminator

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Going too fast into corners?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    edited January 2011
    Are your forks set up properly?
    I had a similar problem a few years ago and found that my rebound was set much too fast (for my weight) so the wheel was bouncing, instead of absorbing the little bumps, and losing lateral traction. Setting slower rebound made a huge difference.
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    When you say wash out, do you mean to the point that you'll fall off or is it just being skittish?

I found that on loose surfaces I felt that the bike would wash out from under me, but I have applied a slower rebound to the forks and all is ok now.
  • ali$tair
    ali$tair Posts: 373
    I had a similar problem when first got my EX 8.

Changed the 110mm stem to a 70mm and it is so much better!!
    Trek Fuel EX 8 (2010)
  • Ali$tair
    I have the 17.5" frame with a 100mm stem, but I think shortening it will make the reach to the bars feel too cramped. Although I get the logic of having the hands nearer to the direct top of the steerer tube.

Cgarossi & Delta5
    Fork set up, sounds intresting, I found similar info on the Fox website, will try fiddling with the settings on my next ride.

Thanks
  • Do you lean the ike over right on the sideknobs when cornering as when you do, they corner like a dream. I also use them in the 2.25s. You could also try moving your weight over the front wheel more.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not braking at the front when this happens are you?
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    push your inside grip down into the corner
  • As people have suggested, leaning the bike over properly. The biggest improvement to my riding came when I learned to lean the bike under me properly. When you are doing it properly you'll feel the rear of the bike drifting around following the front. I learned from a skills course at Cannock (www.bikeschool.net) which I'd recommend as a good way to improve (I've also heard Jedi above has a good rep).

If you are looking to learn yourself essentially you are looking to lean the bike more than your body, and the easiest way to feel it (in my opinion) is to try cornering with the inside arm pretty much straight, making the bike sit at an angle underneath you. It'll feel odd at first but session a corner or set a slalom up down a hill and you'll soon begin to feel the difference... Oh, and brake before you turn and not during :)

The other thing I noticed when I moved from HT to FS was that I was going into stuff much faster - potentially this may be causing the issue?

Best of luck!

James
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Simonekarl, once you understand your riding and discover the truth ... your puzzle will be solved.

Some bikes have different geometry and that you mentioned allready in your post.

It does sound that you posses iron will to discover mystery, but all of those puzzles are messed up, and they will be more messed up if you read all this i-advice on forums.

People just can't put you onto right path without actually seeing you, how you ride and spot all your weakness or strength points.

But for now, go go go -skills course- !
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Thanks everyone for all your advice and suggestions.

Damn right I will be doing a skills course in spring, but till then I will be playing with my rebound damping and experimenting with leaning the bike over in the corners.

If you happen to be on the North Downs and see a White Fuel EX8 blurr past and then wash out on a corner, come and say hello.