Can I convert this to a singlespeed?

Keiron Curtis
Keiron Curtis Posts: 126
edited January 2011 in Commuting general
I've been riding in one gear now, for a few months, on my Subway LTD, and it has rejuvenated my commute and cycling generally. I've thought of buying a new singlespeed/fixie, but want to ask, can I convert one of my old frames? I have Subway 8, and Subway 1 frames gathering dust in my shed, can I convert these to become my singlespeed or fixie? I'm totally crap at being a mechanic, but want to have a go, so I need alot of advice and instruction, any ideas?
k.curtis

Comments

• The main thing to look for is horizontal rear dropouts, so you can position the wheel slightly further forward or backward to tension the chain correctly even as it wears out. You could use a chain tensioner, but then it's not really a "proper" singlespeed, and can never be a fixie.
  • Or fit eccentric rear hub, eg White Indisutries Eno.
    Cunning combinations of cog/chainring can give you that magic tension, then only replace half your chain at once, and/or get a 'half/link'.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or get a tensioner like the 'alfine' ones (or use an old rear mech with just the lower jockey wheel installed)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    As above, easiest way is a chain tensioner, I did this for a while then switched to an eccentric bottom bracket because it was a neater solution. Tensioner works fine though.

Great video on how to do it here:

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/page47.htm
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    The Subway 8 was designed for hub gears, and so has at least horizontal dropouts (can't remember if it's got track ends or not). Therefore, it will work, with no tensioner needed.