Hardrock Disc or Pro or Carrera Race or Ultimate

Kozak
Kozak Posts: 36
edited January 2011 in MTB beginners
Advice please - I cannot decide which to buy, my budget is up to £500, have never done any mountain biking but ride most spring/summer time where I live in North Wales along the coastal cycle path, and my 20 year old bike though still working is gettin a bit worn out. Never had front suspension so any bike with this will feel so much better than my old one.
Have booked in for an all day training session in Llandegla to be shown what and how to do mountain biking properly. Was going to wait till after that to buy but there are sales that might not last -at Halfords and also found the Specialized Pro that got a good write up available for just under £500. I prefer the black/white pain job on the Specialized both the Pro, and the Disc (just over £300) which just has a cable operated disc brake.
But Carrera Vengeance Race for £245 or Ultimate for £320, out of all these 4 bikes is the Specialized Pro the best? or are the Dart or Tora forks with the Carerras better than the Suntour on the Hardrock Disc but is the Pro the one with the best overall forks since it has been ?custom made. Will the Carerra frame be just as tough as the Specialized?

I await your expert advice + opinions.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'd get the Carrera Vengeance Ultimate.

In the words of on of the 'forum gods' when it was £290:
    supersonic wrote:
    I have been following budget bikes for many years, and write about them in WMB. This is one of the best deals I have ever seen, and I know the frame is good.

Enjoy!

There's a thread on them here.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Kozak
    Kozak Posts: 36
    Thanks for the link and advice, finally did it and went last night after work and bought the Ultimate - not keen on white but overall looks fine. Most of the local Halfords had sold out , and had to travel to Ellesmere Port to get one - the guy there was very helpful, checked all was correctly adjusted and even fitted the set of mud guards that I bought which I did not expect since it was after 8 and I thought he would want to close and go home but no. So big thanks to Ashley from E Port Halfords.