Just £1 in aid of Help For Heroes.

Mark Elvin
Mark Elvin Posts: 997
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
On 15th May this year I'm doing a 68mile bike ride on a fixed single speed track bike through the New Forest in aid of Help For Heroes.

If I could get just 10% of the 197041 Bike Radar members to send a £1 donation to my paypal account (well the wifes actually) it would raise a nice amount of money (nearly £2000) for a worthy cause. I'll pay it across to my Just Giving account in one lump once the ride is completed.

The paypal adress is sally_elv@yahoo.co.uk

If you'd prefer to use just giving directly (I belive £5 is the minimum donation though) my page is here - www.justgiving.com/markelvin

Thanks in advance.

Mark
2012 Cannondale Synapse

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I hope your wife likes spam....

P.S. good luck!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I think it'd make more sense to ask people to donate via justgiving rather than sending you money directly. That way people can add the gift aid where appropriate.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • more sense to put the just giving link up...I'd never donate to a personal account unless I knew the person. call me sceptical but you might miss out on a lot of donations doing it this way
  • The reason for asking via paypal is that I belive just giving has a minimum £5 & I figured £1 was really hardly anything to people.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Yeah, although I'm sure your motives are honourable, asking people to send you money directly sounds far too dodgy. Good luck with your ride!

PS. It's Help for Heroes
  • Yeah, although I'm sure your motives are honourable, asking people to send you money directly sounds far too dodgy. Good luck with your ride!
    If people feel I'm untrustworthy (but I've no idea why they would) just use the just giving option. Simple really.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Mark Elvin wrote:
    Yeah, although I'm sure your motives are honourable, asking people to send you money directly sounds far too dodgy. Good luck with your ride!

If people feel I'm untrustworthy (but I've no idea why they would) just use the just giving option. Simple really.

Nah, I'm sure you are completely trustworthy, but it's always wise to be careful with strangers on the net. The justgiving thing is definitely the way forwards and I wish you all the best with your project.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    Trouble is, we've no idea that you or the owner of the email adress aren't. It's the modern world. I could mention here my introduction to the internet some years ago by a then Project Manager, who showed us how he could log onto a chat room as 'Dave' and get zero interest, but then went in pretending to be 14 year old Annie and within seconds had a load of blokes wanting to talk - and more - to him. And one did, via his web cam. Unpleasant is the word I'd use for that mystery bloke.

It's the net. On the net, it's usally better to be cautious, and use the JustGiving option like you suggest.
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    On 15th May this year I'm doing a 68mile bike ride on a fixed single speed track bike through the New Forest in aid of Help For Heroes.

Mark

Good effort Mark! I may see you there as there's a large bunch of us from previous H4H rides attending as a reunion. Find us on Facebook :)

Good luck with the fundraising.
  • Chrissz wrote:
    Mark Elvin wrote:

Mark

Good effort Mark! I may see you there as there's a large bunch of us from previous H4H rides attending as a reunion. Find us on Facebook :)

Good luck with the fundraising.

Any chance of a link please?
    2012 Cannondale Synapse