Hillingdon vs Hog Hill winter races

Si C
Si C Posts: 130
edited January 2011 in Amateur race
I noticed in the recent Londoncyclesport reports that Hillingdon is attracting significantly more numbers than Hog Hill for winter racing.

Mondays race at HH saw nor more than 35 riders in total...Hillingdon close to 100.

Do you think this is purely geographical? or something else affecting the poor HH turn outs?

Comments

• maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    It's always been like that, summer or winter. Hillingdon gets a lot more people out. I think the reasons are partly the circuit (Hillingdon is easier to sit in and wait for the sprint, and many people deep down think they are Cavendish and can win it :roll:, whereas Hog Hill has a hill) and the geography -- Hog Hill is just too hard to get to from south or west London or further afield.

Could also be that HH is charging a ridiculous £15 a race?
  • Si C
    maryka wrote:
    It's always been like that, summer or winter. Hillingdon gets a lot more people out. I think the reasons are partly the circuit (Hillingdon is easier to sit in and wait for the sprint, and many people deep down think they are Cavendish and can win it :roll:, whereas Hog Hill has a hill) and the geography -- Hog Hill is just too hard to get to from south or west London or further afield.

Could also be that HH is charging a ridiculous £15 a race?

I think that's down to East London Velo rather than the circuit.

They probably have quiet extensive outgoings to run events there. Circuit hire, staff etc.

It cost me £22 for a first 4th cat race.
  • I think it's probably down to location more than anything else, Hillingdon is just easier to get to for lots of people.
  • Lion-O
    Lion-O Posts: 48
    i have ridden both and will go to HH more. its eaier for me to get to and the circuit is harder which i like. i think the fact that hillingdon is flat is the difference as its easier to sit in.
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    35 riders over 3 races = points for everyone! Sounds like a cheap way to get 3rd or get / keep 2nd cat... Definately better than getting smashed up in a typical Hillingdon sprint, and a much better way to build race fitness for the season.
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • Si C
    I don't see cheap points as a good thing. Hence I've only renewed my BC membership with a provisional until things get a little busier. :wink:
  • maryka
    Si C wrote:
    I don't see cheap points as a good thing. Hence I've only renewed my BC membership with a provisional until things get a little busier. :wink:
    Well unless you wait til October to renew your full racing license, it won't be getting any cheaper... you pay the same for a Jan-Dec license as you do for an April-Dec one! So if points, upgrading, etc. is important to you, it makes no sense not to buy the full license now. All the more so if you have only Bronze so you're paying for a day license every time.

(I did not buy a full license but that's because I have no idea if I'll do a single race this year, let alone gain enough points not to drop down a cat. If August rolls around and I feel like racing, I'll get it then. But my circumstances are a bit special. For a typical racer who knows for sure he/she'll be racing this season, might as well buy it now.)
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    maryka wrote:
    (I did not buy a full license but that's because I have no idea if I'll do a single race this year, let alone gain enough points not to drop down a cat

I thought you just wanted to go back to CAT 2 so you could hurt some legs in all those womens 2/3 races you get...

I can actually see the motivation in not wanting a race licence to compete in the winter series. Imagine you're a slightly tubby sprinter - you can sit in no problem in the straight 3rds at Hillingdon and pick up lots of points to upgrade. But now you're a 2nd cat who can't even stay with the bunch in a 2/3 race.

But at the same time its a little unfair to be sandbagging in the category that's not appropriate to you and take lots of cash. The problem is really that the strong attacking 3rds without a sprint that make those road races tough enough to drop the tubby sprinter just don't race the winter series.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • maryka
    jibberjim wrote:
    I can actually see the motivation in not wanting a race licence to compete in the winter series. Imagine you're a slightly tubby sprinter - you can sit in no problem in the straight 3rds at Hillingdon and pick up lots of points to upgrade. But now you're a 2nd cat who can't even stay with the bunch in a 2/3 race.

But at the same time its a little unfair to be sandbagging in the category that's not appropriate to you and take lots of cash.

Hadn't seen it this way... yes, if you're a sandbagger without a full license but winning/placing in races at the winter series and not having to upgrade, then that's pretty shameful.

If it's more a case that you don't know what you want yet from the season and are worrying about upgrading too soon, then that's acceptable.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,579
    Is there any chance of a tubby non-sprinter picking up points there? If so a trip to the big smoke might be in order for me :lol: