Short Coast to Coast - Morcambe to Redcar - Bike + Advice

slickster81
slickster81 Posts: 17
edited January 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hi, My first post :o
(I didn't want to hijack Roger73's thread which is simialr so I setup this one.)

I'm new to cycling, well, so new I've not got a bike yet :oops: I'm looking to do a coast to coast bike ride probably late August as a 'fundraising challenge' for my 30th birthday. I'm fairly fit, in that I run 5-6 times a week (my main sport), I also swim a couple of times a week too.

About 15 years ago I was quite into Mountain Biking and I kind of want to get back into that. I'm less than 30 minutes from Cannock Chase and the like so no excuse.

Anyway, sorry, to the point of this thread...As the C2C will probably be a one-off event and I would want to carry on with MTBing, would it make some kind of sense to get a decent HT MTB, say like a Boardman Team HT (currently on sale at £679 from £849) and put 'skinny' tyres on it for the C2C training and event? Or are there £100-£200 road bikes that would be better suited?

I would be looking to do a similar route to that done by R3 Guy, but heading north at Stokesley directly to Redcar. This should bring the ride to around 100 miles, which I would want to do in a day.

I've got a key 10k (running) race in early March so I would be looking to step into some cycling training from then through to August. If I'm just looking to 'get through' the 100 miles, i.e. not going for a fast time, then what kind of training/distance should I be covering?

Many thanks,

Slick.

Comments

• Well this question seems to have gone down like a lead balloon :oops:
  • rustynut
    rustynut Posts: 178
    I'm planning a double coast to coast, using the route from Redcar to Bridlington, then Way of the Roses, up the coast to St. Bees, then a bit of the C2C. Down to Grasmere, up the Struggle to Kirkstone Pass, down to Patterdale. Up to Pooley Bridge, Then to Penrith, Hartside, Nine Banks, Teesdale, Swaledale and over to the Coast for Robin Hood's Bay.

Well, it's not short tour.

Mountain bikes are not to bad for touring with semi slicks, but, imho, a decent hybrid would be better suited to touring. Road bikes are fast, but due to the frame, the miles can get tiresome. Mountain bikes again, best suited to off- roading. If C2C is a one off, then go for the mountain bike

For training, I would say aim for 50/60 miles a day in a week.

There is another called the W2W, which go's thru Great Ayton.