TT Style Aero Bars in Cat 4,3,2,1,Elite

Karl2010
Karl2010 Posts: 511
edited January 2011 in Amateur race
Just wandering if TT style clip on aero bars where allowed in road race?

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Nope.
  • He's right. close thread.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Can you imagine the carnage if 80 people were trying to race on tri bars? :shock:
  • Those spinnaci bars from the 90s worked OK but couldn't see them working these days!
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    Close Thread?

As for carnage: Yes it would be awkward in the bunch, but in a brake away could/would be an advantage, that was my line of thought anyway.
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    Hence why they're banned.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Karl2010 wrote:
    Close Thread?

As for carnage: Yes it would be awkward in the bunch, but in a brake away could/would be an advantage, that was my line of thought anyway.

Get comfortable and low in the drops, on a properly fitted road bike that's no less aero than clip-on bars that sit on top. And much safer for both you and everyone else.

Most breakaways aren't solo anyway, and imo clip-ons with no easy access to shifters would be a faff in a twisty hilly road race. Give me the drops anyday, you have more control, you're ready to sprint and you're more aero on descents.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Rest your forearms on the tops - Cancellara style.

Have tried it occasionally, twice in fact - not racing, just solo training on straight, quiet roads - and it does feel a bit faster. Also feels uncontrollable as well.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If someone did that next to me in a race I would shout nasties at them. Fine if you're off the front.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    NapoleonD wrote:
    If someone did that next to me in a race I would shout nasties at them. Fine if you're off the front.

So would I. Wouldnt do it in a race, even if I was off the front.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I wouldn't do it at all either, I meant it would be fine for someone else to do it off the front on their own. Because I wouldn't know.
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I wouldn't do it at all either, I meant it would be fine for someone else to do it off the front on their own. Because I wouldn't know.

The commissaire won't like it though, even if you are off the front
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Does this just apply to events run under BC rules? I've heard of people turning up at TLI road events with tri-bars on and still getting a ride. That was few years ago, mind - the regs may have changed in the meantime.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Slow1972 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

The commissaire won't like it though, even if you are off the front

Quite right too, as a comm i had to issue a fair few warnings in that exact situation.. to quote a late great commisaire from the west mids ' none of this floppy hands over the tops of the bars nonsense.'
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Hi Karl,

I put short tri-bars on all my Road,ATB and touring bikes because I like to get myself more stream-lined in the wind and I like the feel when climbing on then. Due to my Cx experience I am quite capable of riding off-road with them as well.
    So enjoy yours, but cannot be used in a RR, thankfully.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    From someone who raced with Spinaccis in the 90s - they we'ren't that wonderful - the name was apt as you needed forearms like Popeye to get comfortable on them. God forbid if people raced in a bunch with them - you only have to witness Elite triathletes racing in a bunch to realise that anything that keeps the hands near the brakes is a danger.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..