Looking for a Womens MTB group in South Wales, Cwmcarn area

Merrick25
Merrick25 Posts: 14
edited January 2011 in Women
Hi

I am in the Cwmcarn area and am looking for Womens MTB group to join with a mixture of abilities.

My OH is very good and I am happy to go out with him every now and again but would good to meet some other Lady cyclists too.

Moved to South Wales 6 months ago so don't know many people in the area yet.

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i know it's not exactly close by but a mate of mine goes riding with a mixed group of all abilities that meet at castle bikes in caerphilly, i think they go on mondays and thursdays and the weekend too. maybe check out the website?

i'm not sure how he started riding with them :? sorry for the vagueness :lol:

here's a link to their forum thingy, hope it helps :D

http://www.castlebikes.co.uk/new-forum/ ... h-mtb-ride
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    I have a friend who wants me to take her mountain biking, she suggested Cwmcarn because she knows i ride there. Problem is she has never mtb'ed before and im not sure if it would be too much for her (fitness and technically)she rides her bike to work every day so she must have some level of fitness, my biggest fear is that se crashes and gets hurt.

is taking her to Cwmcarn a really bad idea or should she be ok?
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Sorry for the thread hi jack but rhyko personally (I'm trying to convince the OH to get into mtb'ing) I think Cwmcarn would be a bit overwhelming for her, especially if it's busy as she may feel intimidated by all the 'up to speed' riders (I know I did the first few times :lol: )

Maybe build her up slowly, I like doing Caerphilly mountain as you can pick your trail more or less and there always seems to be an easier or more techinical route to take depending on what you fancy, there's miles of pathways meandering (good word) through the forestry and a good few fire breaks etc that may be a better intro for her. Then maybe progress to Cwmcarn when fitness/confidence/ability have been built up..

Sorry again!

p.s. women (I think and am lead to believe Miss Notax) have kicked my arse all over Cwncarn so the above may be bs, but worth considering from a beginners point of view as per your friend
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    rhyko7 wrote:
    I have a friend who wants me to take her mountain biking, she suggested Cwmcarn because she knows i ride there. Problem is she has never mtb'ed before and im not sure if it would be too much for her (fitness and technically)she rides her bike to work every day so she must have some level of fitness, my biggest fear is that se crashes and gets hurt.

is taking her to Cwmcarn a really bad idea or should she be ok?

As Squarepants says, I would definitely avoid Cwmcarn :D

It's a great trail but the ascent is technically challenging and quite intense. Also whilst the descent is really good fun, if you're shattered from the climb it might be too much.

It's a shame Penhydd is still closed at Afan as that IS a great trail to introduce people to MTBing. Not too technical, with enough flowy sections to make it flipping good fun!

And Squarepants - have I seen you at Cwmcarn then?!! :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Squarepants
    Horrah to all of that ^^

I belive so Miss Notax, I was reliably informed it may have been you who powered away from me going up to the Black on the fire road. I did have a chuckle to myself at the time and blamed my lack of fitness on the previous 6 months of no riding.

It was.. 2 weeks ago I think. May have been you! we'll proabably never know :lol:
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    It was.. 2 weeks ago I think. May have been you! we'll proabably never know :lol:

We were in Wales about two weeks ago but didn't ride Cwmcarn (just Whites Level), so someone else i'm afraid! Although it's cheered me up no end that people think i'm actually capable of powering away from anyone :lol::lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    You do a nice side line in trail tools though :p
  • Squarepants
    miss notax wrote:

We were in Wales about two weeks ago but didn't ride Cwmcarn (just Whites Level), so someone else i'm afraid! Although it's cheered me up no end that people think i'm actually capable of powering away from anyone :lol::lol:

Ah well your infamy goes before you then, even when it's undeserved :lol::wink:

Well I'm sure you'll pass me at some point. I'll be easy to spot, i'll be the guy in the helmet on the dirty mountain bike who's out of breath :lol:
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR