Boardman 22 function computer - Advice please

matt_wright
matt_wright Posts: 27
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
22 function computer £49.99
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_761691_langId_-1_categoryId_165741#dtab

would really like to hear views and opinions on this. Especially from people who have used this.

Or reccomend me something better?

Thanks very much.

Matt

Comments

• Any ideas anyone?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,631
    Doesn't look quite as well put together as some computers in that price range but 22 different functions is pretty impressive and about double you'd get elsewhere for £50.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • I tried one but couldnt get it to work properly. Worked fine in the warehouse at work, picked up wireless signal etc but as soon as you got outside it stopped working. Returned it and exchanged it for a wired topeak, fewer functions but at least it worked.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Any ideas anyone?

Have a look at the Cateye range,i have the wireless micro and cannot fault it so far...
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I have this computer and a second bike fitting kit, swapping it between both of my bikes.

I really like the cadence function and I like seeing how much vertical I have achieved. All of the other functions are pretty standard for any bike computer but this is the only one with vert and cadence.

The display is clear enough but my unit wouldn't work with polarised glasses as they made the screen look cloudy. I now use it with normal lenses and its fine. Halfords told me units would be shipping that had this problem corrected but check in the store, if you wear polarised cycling glasses.

Install/set up was simple and it came with a wide selection of rubber bands and cable ties, to suit all tube, fork and crank sizes. It has worked perfectly on both bikes, with no fettling required at all.

I recommend it.

ETA - the speed and cadence sensor units are identical to my wife's Cat Eye sensor. Oh and she wants one of these as it has cadence.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    I have this computer and a second bike fitting kit, swapping it between both of my bikes.

I really like the cadence function and I like seeing how much vertical I have achieved. All of the other functions are pretty standard for any bike computer but this is the only one with vert and cadence.

The display is clear enough but my unit wouldn't work with polarised glasses as they made the screen look cloudy. I now use it with normal lenses and its fine. Halfords told me units would be shipping that had this problem corrected but check in the store, if you wear polarised cycling glasses.

Install/set up was simple and it came with a wide selection of rubber bands and cable ties, to suit all tube, fork and crank sizes. It has worked perfectly on both bikes, with no fettling required at all.

I recommend it.

ETA - the speed and cadence sensor units are identical to my wife's Cat Eye sensor. Oh and she wants one of these as it has cadence.
    is there any way you can post pictures up of the sensors. they must have improved them because the ones with the yellow round the screen were known to be rubbish, maybe thats the one the other poster is refering to?
  • Yes, sorry was veiwing forum on my phone so didn't see your picture. The one I had problems with had the yellow bezel and they guy at the shop said they were having problems with poor wireless reception on some bikes, but it seemed to work fine on others for no apparent reason.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • thinbo
    thinbo Posts: 93
    I have a previous version of a Boardman cycle computer, pretty much same spec as that without altimeter. It is the only bike related purchase to date that I regret making. Sensors packed in pretty quickly. First the speed then the cadence. I'd look towards cateye, maybe the V2?
    CUBE Agree GTC Pro '10
    Giant Defy 2 '09
  • Bar Shaker
    Thinbo wrote:
    I have a previous version of a Boardman cycle computer, pretty much same spec as that without altimeter.

Or even pretty much the old version and nothing like the new one?

My one has been 100% reliable since July, used on a weekly basis. I would like to report having tested it for longer but that's when they came out.

The previous version was rubbish and are no comparison. Two years ago when I went to buy the previous version, my local Halfords staff wouldn't sell me one as they were having so many problems with them. The new one addresses all the issues from the previous version and is proving to be an excellent performer at an excellent price.

I'll try and get take some photos of the sensors but am pretty sure they are Cateye made units.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • rake
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Thinbo wrote:
    I have a previous version of a Boardman cycle computer, pretty much same spec as that without altimeter.

Or even pretty much the old version and nothing like the new one?

My one has been 100% reliable since July, used on a weekly basis. I would like to report having tested it for longer but that's when they came out.

The previous version was rubbish and are no comparison. Two years ago when I went to buy the previous version, my local Halfords staff wouldn't sell me one as they were having so many problems with them. The new one addresses all the issues from the previous version and is proving to be an excellent performer at an excellent price.

I'll try and get take some photos of the sensors but am pretty sure they are Cateye made units.
    you might be tempting me there. i didnt buy the old one on shop advise but i thought there must be a reason for the new model. i wouldnt be surprised if they went to cateye for it.does it fit the tc fork ok, thats what i want to know.
  • Bar Shaker
    Rake, sorry for the delay in getting these up...

4FvLcn2D.jpg

d1zdYCGz.jpg

4rjRJJXb.jpg

D3BcZC7y.jpg

Yes, I know my bike needs a clean!
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • rake
    thanks bar. much apreciated. i know what im dealing with now. might be time to get rid of my ugly wires. nice bike. slightly more relaxed sportive bikes are said to be like that, but ive never owned one.
  • I have this computer and a second bike fitting kit, swapping it between both of my bikes.

I recommend it.

Where do you get the extra fittings? I'd like to swap the computer between bikes too :)