carrera 2008 model 24 spped in red

jameschaz
jameschaz Posts: 29
edited January 2011 in MTB beginners
hi people! im new to this so just bare with me!!

i have just bought a carrera 24 spped MTB in red of a mate that has only been used 3 times. i tried this out over the weekend and found this to be quite slugish (if ya no what i mean) i defo found this when i was on the road as i did on and off road. now could this be down to the bike not been set up correctly like the forks been too soft and the tyers also ben too soft! im new to the biking lark and could do with some advice on the bike please??????? thanks and look foward to any help or replies.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The bike is sluggish, or you are? If you are new to this, what are you measuring it against?

Some caps and a spellcheck would make it easier/more conducive to people helping, if you can't be arsed, why should anyone else?

And welcome to the forum, some of the people on here are quite nice, actually.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • [what a fooooookin tossa!! you are!! take it your one of the twats on here then!! ya complete NOB ED
  • cooldad

what a tossa you are!! only asking for some help!! what a NOB ED
  • cooldad
    edited January 2011
    I think you mean I am a knob head and a tosser? Spellcheck!
    But glad to see you got twats right. 4/10 for effort.
    My initial question is still valid.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Mr OCD
    Mr OCD Posts: 382
    jameschaz wrote:
    [what a fooooookin tossa!! you are!! take it your one of the twats on here then!! ya complete NOB ED

Nice attitude :roll:

IMHO most people on here are very helpful.

As mentioned if you provide a bit more information then I'm sure people can help but calling people names isn't really the most intelligent of answers.
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    i couldn't even read that.
  • sorry its my grammer!!

i have just bought a Carrera mountain bike, its a 2008 model and has only been used a few times by my mate. i tried the bike out overthe weekend. when i was riding the bike i found it a bit of a struggle like it was realy hard to keep up. it seamed very soft. i was just woundering if this could be down to the set up that i recived it in. could it be that the fork are set to light as it has adjustable forks?
  • Mr OCD
    Mr OCD Posts: 382
    jameschaz wrote:
    sorry its my grammer!!

i have just bought a Carrera mountain bike, its a 2008 model and has only been used a few times by my mate. i tried the bike out overthe weekend. when i was riding the bike i found it a bit of a struggle like it was realy hard to keep up. it seamed very soft. i was just woundering if this could be down to the set up that i recived it in. could it be that the fork are set to light as it has adjustable forks?

Ok which Carrera is it? - there are lots...
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • cooldad
    edited January 2011
    jameschaz wrote:
    Sorry it's my grammar!

I have just bought a Carrera mountain bike. It's a 2008 model and has only been used a few times by my mate. I tried the bike out over the weekend. When I was riding the bike I found it a bit of a struggle, like it was really hard to keep up. It seemed very soft. I was just wondering if this could be down to the set up that i received it in. Could it be that the forks are set too light as it has adjustable forks?
    See what I did there?

Have a look in FAQ's for setting up sag and tyre pressure.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=40043

You still haven't answered my question - what are you comparing it against?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Im not comparing it with any other bike, its just how it felt when i was riding it. I will look up on the link you sent me. thanks mate.

Sorry for the poor grammer!!
  • James - I could help you but with an attitude like that, I'm not going to. Cooldad is a respectable member of the forum, unlike you who asks one question and when told about his bad grammar and the bike feeling sluggish because of you, starts mouthing off. That's really not the right way to get some help is it? Would you say that if you were talking face to face. I think not.
  • Hi, no its not the right way to go about it, but just because my grammer isnt spot on thats no excuse to to star taking the mick out of someone that is dislecsic! and i thought the grammer was ok for someone like myself! sorry to offend but the old boy was at fault from the start. Would appriate any help?

Thanks James
  • your grammar isn't the real problem here, its your attitude and the reponse which you posted about cooldad. I've got no problem with people who's grammar suffers due to dyslexia.
  • ok!! I was out of order. sorry to offend. i take it you dont want to help me now. you do have a nice bike tho. Hope to catch up someothertime then. maybe you will forgive and help me out further down the line

James.
  • For the record, cooldad didn't even post anything that was offensive. So why post a response like that?
  • i thought he was taking the mick out of the way i asked for some help. i obviously got it wron! sorry to everyone i have offended. not a good start by me is it.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    edited January 2011
    now we can all carry on, thanks.

Ok, what is the exact model of the bike as there are quite a few out there? Like was said above, your idea of the bike feeling sluggish could be down to you not being used to cycling and also as said above, what are you comparing it to?
  • Thanks for the comments on the bike, I'm quite happy with it too.
  • the make is a Carrera Vulcon XL 2007/2008 24 speed.

I had a claud butler previously and it seemed a lot smoother when riding, this didnt have any front suspention like the Carrera. Could this be down to me not been used to the new bike with forks and maybe they are not set right? i dont no as im new to biking.

Thanks for your help and time.

Jame
  • no, its the red one my friend?
  • damn it, of course, the wrong year
  • http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/carrera/vu ... ns-08-2008

Are the brakes rubbing? Try lifting up teh front wheel and spinning it, does it carry on spinning for a while or stop straight away? Do the same thing on the back.
  • hee hee! we will get there? wish i could be of more help but im not that good with comps! let me no if ya find it mate and maybe you can give me some advice? taaaaaaaa
  • I've jsut given you some :wink:
  • thats the one fella! wheels seem ok! slight sqeek. but the fork seem very very spongy?
  • so they spin freely? The fork doesn't really take away that much speedwise when your gunning it. the amount of sag on the fork mainly makes a difference on bump absorbtion. The fork might seema bit soft as you're not used to it. How much do you weigh?
  • yep the wheels seam fine! like you say im probably not used to it! im going to have another look at it tomorrow. will get the tyers to the right pressurs and stiffen the forks. thanks for all your help. will let ya o how i get on!! cheers pal.
  • yeh, try some more air in the tyres and get back to us.
  • cooldad
    jameschaz wrote:
    Hi, no its not the right way to go about it, but just because my grammer isnt spot on thats no excuse to to star taking the mick out of someone that is dislecsic! and i thought the grammer was ok for someone like myself! sorry to offend but the old boy was at fault from the start. Would appriate any help?

Thanks James

I don't mind being called a knob head or a foooookin tosser, but calling me an old boy is just rude and insensitive.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools