Presta Valves?

Mr OCD
Mr OCD Posts: 382
edited January 2011 in MTB beginners
I thought it would be a good idea to check the tyre pressures on my bike this morning ... that was until I saw the valves look odd ... :oops: ... turns out they are presta type...

Is it worth changing the tubes? ~(bike is brand new)

But anyway I need a tyre pump for the MTB that does presta valves and probably a guage as well ...

Any recommendations?
2009 Carrera Fury

Comments

• I use something like this for everything, out on teh trail or in the garage as it gets air into the tyres really fast. The guage is only really needed for getting about the right amount of air in and then I use the old, sit on the bike and see how much tyre you can see test. If you need to inflate tubeless tyres, a proper track pump is recommended though or even a compresser. I've found presta valve easier and the ring that screws the tube to the rim also helps. Stick with presta imo

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=2909
  • 964rh
    964rh Posts: 72
    If you've already got a pump (with the schreder(sp)) type adaptor you can get a small adaptor that allows you to use on the presta valve for a coupel of quid.

If you have the inner tubes that were OE on the Fury just be careful how hard you screw it on as it tends to break the tube valve.

Rob
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What pump are you using? I have 3 track pumps and a little one and all handle both.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    as said get a brass adapter for about a quid off ebay or your LBS. Presta are in theory better, but I have never broken a Schrader valve ;). With modern MTB XC wheels its often not as simple as swapping over the tubes as typically the valve hole will be too small and sometimes there is not enough space to drill out the hole for a schrader.

Typically you are stuck with them, so buy a few adapters instead.
  • Mr OCD
    Dont have any pump at all ... :lol:

I use the local petrol station (digital type) and my pressure guage for the cars / motorbikes but dont have anything for the MTB...

Halfords sell those Topeak pumps ... was tempted to buy one as well but wasnt sure about the correct fitting end.
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • Mr OCD wrote:
    Dont have any pump at all ... :lol:

I use the local petrol station (digital type) and my pressure guage for the cars / motorbikes but dont have anything for the MTB...

Halfords sell those Topeak pumps ... was tempted to buy one as well but wasnt sure about the correct fitting end.
    they can be converted quickly and easily be changing around a couple of bits inside for use on schrader and presta.
  • well you need a pump 1st... :lol:

as said, most track pumps can handle either.

There is no benefit of presta over schrader or vice versa.

I just prefer schrader... they're less fiddly and you can't really break them.

Bare in mind that some rims can only take presta.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got Presta on by MTB and road bikes,and my 'old' bike has got schraeder. Presta is fine, schrader is fine, but I wouldn't make any effort to change form one to the other.

A pump like a toppeak mountain morph is very useful to have. A little heavier than a tiny, shiny Lezyne one, but it works so much better. Typically, pumps will be adaptable to use both types of valve. If you're already got presta then get a pump and a couple of spare presta valved tubes, there's no reason not to.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Track pump for at home and one in the boot - much easier. Pretty much any cheap one will manage MTB pressures. Most have a built in gauge.
    Small pump to carry, I don't worry about a pressure gauge, just poke a thumb at it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The guage is only really needed for getting about the right amount of air in and then I use the old, sit on the bike and see how much tyre you can see test

Not heard of that, would suggest the gauge is a much better idea!

Very few rims can't be drilled out to ran schraeder IME if that's what you want to do. Otherwise just buy a decent pump and stick with what you've got!
  • njee20 wrote:
    The guage is only really needed for getting about the right amount of air in and then I use the old, sit on the bike and see how much tyre you can see test

Not heard of that, would suggest the gauge is a much better idea!

Very few rims can't be drilled out to ran schraeder IME if that's what you want to do. Otherwise just buy a decent pump and stick with what you've got!
    it actually works quite well combined with the old squeeze the tyre between thumb and forefinger.
  • njee20
    I can understand it if you don't have a gauge, but I'd never get into the ball park with a gauge, then revert to squeezing the tyre, which is a terrible way of setting pressures!
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    njee20 wrote:
    I can understand it if you don't have a gauge, !

A hand pump is a get me home, mini pumps pump minimum air. Have a track pump at home for pumping tyres up and setting pressures and you then get used to the feel of the tyre of what pressure you are at for when you have to use a hand pump.
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    Schrader valves sometimes won't fit through the rim of the wheel!

So if you are going to change tubes (pointless) then make sure it fits.
  • Mr OCD
    Landed up buying a Bontrager Air pump which is dual action and also auto fits both valves... used it last night and was excellent!
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • njee20
    A hand pump is a get me home, mini pumps pump minimum air. Have a track pump at home for pumping tyres up and setting pressures and you then get used to the feel of the tyre of what pressure you are at for when you have to use a hand pump.

Agreed, which is why it's odd to ignore the gauge when you get close. Each to their own!
  • The main problem is that the guage isn't very accurate/hard to read in the 20-30PSI range which is what i use. I normally put somehwhere between 20-25PSI in.
  • J@mesC
    J@mesC Posts: 129
    The main problem is that the guage isn't very accurate/hard to read in the 20-30PSI range which is what i use. I normally put somehwhere between 20-25PSI in.

And your fingers are more accurate at gauging psi??? :shock:

I wants me some of those psi-calibrated fingers!!!
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    J@mesC wrote:
    The main problem is that the guage isn't very accurate/hard to read in the 20-30PSI range which is what i use. I normally put somehwhere between 20-25PSI in.

Some of the gauges you get on hand pumps your fingers are probably more accurate for determining the pressure. :lol:
  • omegas wrote:
    J@mesC wrote:

Some of the gauges you get on hand pumps your fingers are probably more accurate for determining the pressure. :lol:
    the main test, is how much tyre you can see when sitting on it. I'm not the only who to use that technique to work out the amount of psi needed though.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forums/vie ... t=12674161