Carbon Seatpost in a Steel Frame

Gussio
Gussio Posts: 2,452
edited January 2011 in The workshop
Before I put a carbon seatpost into a steel frame, is there anything that I should know? Pretty sure that teflon grease is a no-no, but what about some other form of lubrication or should it go in dry? Any pointers gratefully received....

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    you can buy something called "carbon assembly paste". It's kinda like normal grease but with bits in to provide extra grip so you can use a lower torque also stops the post from bonding with the frame.
  • jairaj
    this is the stuff I've got. Not had a stuck seatpost yet. Use it on Steel and Alu frames with carbon posts.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26768
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    edited January 2011
    I use this stuff, and I've had no problems with a carbon seatpost

EDIT- damn, forgot to put the link in

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=2609
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Thanks guys - appreciated.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I thought assembly paste was just for carbon on carbon? isnt it basically little balls to create the missing grip?

I use teflon lube so it doesn't stick YMMV
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jairaj
    I think it was invented for use with carbon but can be used on any material AFIK.

All it does is provide a textured surface and increases grip but at the same time stops chemical bonding. so can be used on any material?
  • Assembly paste can be used on any carbon interface.
    The lower torque value it gives is the key here.
    Cervelo did a test & if I remember right, the needed torque force on a carbon seatpost was reduced by something like 45%. It is the overtightening which leads to seizure in the first place together with a lack of maintenance.

Ps. Hairspray has the same effect ( without lubrication )if you wish to give your carbon bits a spray every now & again.
  • i've got a 853 steel and carbon wrap fsa seatpost and dont use anything. I guess im paranoid if you apparently grease it then it get's stuck from what i've heard.