which bike ??????

tiggy 22
tiggy 22 Posts: 2
edited January 2011 in Commuting general
hi can anybody tell me proper about the board man team hybrid?they have just reduced them to £600 if you buy on line and collect at hellfords ive read good and bad reveiws mostly posted around 2009.my other choice would be the new cannondale quick 3 £7/800ish im fairly new to commuting and use my scott scale 50 with slicks on but get fed up of changing tyres when i go off road, my commute is approx 20mile round trip on mostly, not very good tarmac my budget is up to about £800 any other suggestions would be welcome ,when snowing or raining i use the car cheers ..

Comments

• you can't really go wrong with those. i've got a cannondale bad boy. similar to the quick but a bit more 'hybrid'. i wished i'd bought a roadie, like a CAAD8 for my 30 mile commute which is all on road. a hybrid is a good starter. if it does,'t sut, trade it in in a year or two for a road bike or stick 28mm / 32mm tyres on for traily rides. :-)
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    I have a Boardman Urban Pro for sale in large couple of upgrades (cassette, chain, handlebar grips, very good condition. PM if interested
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Another option might be to buy a separate set of commuting wheels and tyres for the Scott.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Still often leaves you having to tweak the brake callipers though cjcp......

The Review on here for the Boardman is largely good, I understand that teh rear brake judder reported is resolved on the latest frames (but now sure how to be honest). They are amazingly good value for money although done no favours by being almost impossible to take for a test ride due to Halfords being the sole agent.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Still often leaves you having to tweak the brake callipers though cjcp......

Fair point. That would annoy the heck out of me, too.

Buy a new bike. It's the only way. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Agreed, the N+1 principle holds true here.

(for the OP, N is the number of bikes you have now, whatever the sceanrio you always now need N+1 bikes to satisfy this new requirement).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    If you get the chance - try both of them out before you buy. I think you can not do a test ride with Halfords but you can still sit and ride a little in the shop.

The Boardman has very good specs and... it has disk brakes! :p
  • I've been running a belt drive trek soho commuter for over 18 months and I can't fault it.
    Apart from tubes/tyres and a couple of assisted offs I've can honestly say once set up I've done zero maintenance. I just get off it and throw it in the garage. :D

Winter bike :- Trek Soho
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/58472678@N08/5361685962/
    Summer bike :- Boardman Team Carbon
    http://flic.kr/p/9bAgrw