Kryptonite Evolution vs OnGuard Pitbull

ExcitingHat
ExcitingHat Posts: 12
edited January 2011 in Commuting general
Which one would you recommend ?

The Pitbull is around £8 cheaper and comes with a looped cable, which is kinda make me lean towards it .

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• I've got the Onguard. It's a decent lock and the cable is useful, but should you ever feel like using the mounting bracket, forget it; it's awful.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Neither, there is only one I would use, and this site you will not have heard of.

http://www.trelock.de/web/en/produkte/m ... MP_650.php

Do NOT confuse these with cheap cable locks.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • djrock
    djrock Posts: 66
    Not sure how true it is but the Onguard M cylinder it uses does not have as many key combination as it could have. Its better to have more than one lock.

jeremyrundle you are beginning to sound like you work or own shares in the company. :D
    Also you can't compare this to a cable lock since this has Armour around the braided cable.

It would be nice to see the MP650 tested again and by other testers as well. You have to be careful just because one group of testers could not get through it does not mean its secure. Using the tools criminals use and the right technique it can show how much the people that tested the lock knew. :shock: It's more shocking when there line of business is testing locks. :?
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    djrock wrote:
    Not sure how true it is but the Onguard M cylinder it uses does not have as many key combination as it could have. Its better to have more than one lock.

jeremyrundle you are beginning to sound like you work or own shares in the company. :D
    Also you can't compare this to a cable lock since this has Armour around the braided cable.

It would be nice to see the MP650 tested again and by other testers as well. You have to be careful just because one group of testers could not get through it does not mean its secure. Using the tools criminals use and the right technique it can show how much the people that tested the lock knew. :shock: It's more shocking when there line of business is testing locks. :?

I just want people to be aware that there are "other4" locks available, no law against that is there :!:
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • djrock
    djrock Posts: 66
    I just want people to be aware that there are "other4" locks available, no law against that is there :!:
    Hi, No there’s not but there’s people that believe that just because its from a big maker and/or costs a good bit of money or its heavy or it feels tough that its a good lock.

If you read reviews on locks by the average person you can see how much they know, which is fine but it gets bad when they start saying stuff about the lock which makes it sound stronger than it is. Like for the kryptonite 8mm chain saying stuff like be a good motorbike lock and would need a angle grinder or gas axe to cut through it!!! Yes they will get through it but a pair of bolt croppers will and I don't think they need to be that big.

I am still not convinced on the MP650 as I said it needs more testing. We need to know what size of braided cable is in the middle of it. Since its usually not that thick!! There’s another attack I can think of which might pop a joint open enough to get at the cable inside.
  • The Pitbull has a 16mm shackle vs a 14mm shackle on the Kryptonite Evo. All steel being equal, this should offer greater resistance.

Cables are useless. Avoid them for all but the very lowest risk situations.
  • I just did some checking. The BikeRadar review mentions a 16mm shackle on the Pitbull, but the road.cc review and the OnGuard website state a 13mm shackle.

So, I was wrong, all being equal the Kryptonite Evo would offer the most resistance.