Genesis Day One Cross. Which mudguards ?

laughingontheinside
edited January 2011 in Commuting general
Any Day One riders out there who have full length mudguards fitted ? If so, what do you use ? Having looked closely at the frame I think a little 'technical adjustment' will be needed for the rear mudguard due to the frame attachment hole being vertical rather than horizontal. What bodges have you used ? Many thanks.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    There are mudguard bosses on the frame so most full length guards should fit.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    My Sirrus hybrid has a 'vertical' attachment hole. I drilled a hole in the guard and then used a couple of tap washers as spacers so it was low enough to clear the v-brake. Guards are SKS Bluemels.
  • Full length mudguards can make rear wheel removal/re-fitting awkward on frames with track-forks (rear facing, horizontal dropouts). If possible, try before you buy or at least cycle to shop and offer the guards upto the frame to see if it will be a problem.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    Having looked closely at the frame I think a little 'technical adjustment' will be needed for the rear mudguard due to the frame attachment hole being vertical rather than horizontal. What bodges have you used ?

Do you mean the threaded hole in the seat stay bridge, or the dropouts? I was referring to mounting the guard to the bridge in my post above.
  • Simples. Use a bradle to make the hole in the right place, to mount it to the seat-stay bridge. Spread the load with 'penny-washer', and make sure you grease the bolts, because you will have to remove the mudguard whenever you try to remove the wheel.

To remove the wheel, you have to be able to slide it rearwards and out of the track-forks (what some folk call 'drop-outs'), but it will hit the full length mudguard before it's clear. You can try letting the tyre down first if it makes you feel better.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I use the SKS guards and have no trouble getting the wheel off. I did bend the metal stays rather than cut them though so have a little flex.