Cyclist-friendly hotel in Bolzano, Italy

The Kennington Kaiser
edited January 2011 in Tour & expedition
Anyone know of one? A group of us are off there in late May and want somewhere we can keep our bikes safe, preferably with half decent food and accomodation.

Ta.

Comments

• PieterM
    PieterM Posts: 167
    We have had good experiences with this hotel:

Hotel Scala Stiegl

Phone: 0039 0471 976222

www.scalahot.com
    European Cycling Trips: http://bikeplustours.com
  • PieterM wrote:
    We have had good experiences with this hotel:

Hotel Scala Stiegl

Phone: 0039 0471 976222

www.scalahot.com

Cheers, looks nice, but I think it may be on the expensive side of some of my group. Don't know anywhere a little cheaper do you?
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    The tourist office fixed me up with a room in (IIRC) the Hotel Adria. There was a secure storage room in the basement.

The tourist office have a comprehensive list of hotels on their website which is also in English.

http://www.bolzano-bozen.it/en/accommodation.htm

they might well be able to point you in the right direction if you drop them an email.

Remember that Bolzano is the provincial capital, and main business centre for this region, so most hotels - at least in the city centre - will be aimed at the business market. If you want cheap (or at least cheaper) then you might need to look a bit further afield/out-of-town.
  • Thanks Andy, there's a good choice of hotels on the local tourist website if you delve into it. Did the Hotel Adria do the job? It's useful to know they have safe storage so I may give them a try. But they do have the worst website I've seen for a hotel in a long time.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Ah I don't know about the website. I got what must have been the last room in town. Which was cheap - but for a reason, as it had no shower, but I think other rooms had all the stuff you'd expect, but were also more expensive.

WiFi was also expensive but that's thanks to a stupid law which was repealed on January 1.

The basement storage was definitely secure and locked - at the end of a long corridor underground so there's no way anyone would find it by accident, or just wandering in off the street.

Try dropping them, or the tourist office an email? The guy in the tourist office obviously knows all the hotels and hotel people in town, and Bolzano is the meeting place for two cycle routes, so I'm sure he's probably been asked this question before. (I say 'he' the tourist office probably has more than one member of staff!).
  • try momoway.com/hotels/ for hotel listings in the area, feedback information, contact address, etc.