Fiat Panda plus bike do they go?

bbrown
bbrown Posts: 15
edited July 2013 in MTB general
So im looking at a new shape Fiat Panda 100hp and wondering if you can get a bike in one.

Also does anyone have one and have any opinions?

Ben

Comments

• We used to have a Daewoo Matiz 800cc engine :lol:..we couldn't get the bikes in the car, but used to take 2 bikes all over the place on a rack on the back of the car :D
    Caz xx
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    We had 2 bikes and 2 people's kit in the back of one when we were in Wales... But it was a wee bit of a squeeze, everything just piled on top of everything else so far from ideal. Fantastic car though 8) Like a rollerskate. You can get it with estate-style roof rails as well
    Uncompromising extremist
  • We used to have a Daewoo Matiz 800cc engine :lol:..we couldn't get the bikes in the car, but used to take 2 bikes all over the place on a rack on the back of the car :D
    Caz xx

that was a sight to behold.... 85mph flying down the M6 :lol:
    Caz xx

that was a sight to behold.... 85mph flying down the M6 :lol:

May the mighty Matiz rest in pieces! ...it couldn't stand the pace, so blew up in September on the way to the CRC Marathon at Ruthin lol :lol:

Caz xx
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The bike may go, but the Fiat probably won't :P
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I dream of having 100hp! :lol:

I can get my 20" HT in my 106, so a Panda should be doable.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    panda's are pretty roomy I believe? I get my 20" bike in the boot of a 3dr corsa (new shape with tiny boot), but i do have to take both wheels off.
  • shoddy
    shoddy Posts: 63
    Hi,
    I have a 100HP Panda.
    You can get a bike in the back if you drop the seats but you need to remove the front wheel and shuffle the passenger seat forwards a bit. Take both wheels off and a bike goes in no problem.
    The best thing to do is use a bike rack. I have the fiat roof bars (the ones that go 'left to right' not the optional 'front to back' bars) and a Thule 591 rack/s. Its a great solution although i do get some weird looks from other motorists when i have two bikes on the roof as they dont look secure at all (although they are).
  • I had a torrid time trying to get my summer season in the back of my fiesta. Luckily i only had to do it twice before my towbar was fitted. Serves me right for getting rid of my V70.
  • bails87
    AdvoCake wrote:
    I had a torrid time trying to get my summer season in the back of my fiesta. Luckily i only had to do it twice before my towbar was fitted. Serves me right for getting rid of my V70.

My cousin easily gets his 18" ht in his fiesta with the front wheel still on, not sure why you struggled.
    MTB/CX

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    335d estate. Put the Panda in the back as well as the bikes.
  • bails87
    .blitz wrote:
    335d estate. Put the Panda in the back as well as the bikes.

And then use the mighty torque to crumple the earth's surface, creating mountains near to your home, meaning you never have to put the bike in a car again :wink:
    MTB/CX

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Precisely. How many torques do they have again?
  • bails87
    whateveryou'vegot + 100
    MTB/CX

• shoddy
    shoddy Posts: 63
    Mine..........

DSC00280.jpg
  • My wife's got a Panda - I would be more inclined to go down the roof rack route myself. Boot is tiny, although I'm sure if you dropped the seats a bike would go in. Depends how much you are prepared to mess around taking the bike apart and put it together again at each end...
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    20 inch inbred goes in mine with the wheels off and the back seats folded down.

Good points got the 1.2 as it only cost £5K new, does 58.9mpg on a daily 80 miles commute, servicing is cheap, it goes round corners like a go-cart, you can park it in anywhere, plenty of room for a driver who's 6ft2, passenger and two kids, not as slow as you'd think.

Down side is that the heating is only 'adequate' when it's -10, suspension is harsh, I've experienced moments of flight going over the Orwell bridge in high winds, given the small tyres you have to buy decent tyres or experience fun in the wet, the rear view mirror can block your vision on corners if you're tall.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    Wow, is that a Panda! My god they've changed over the years. I went in one years ago when I was in Spain and I swear it was built out of cardboard. That looks pretty cool!
  • Oh, I forgot to say there was an ABS problem with some models - a recall was sent out to the registered keepers so that the problem could be rectified (free of charge). Something to do with salt being able to get into the system and corrode it. You may want to check if the car you look at needs the repair and, if so, has it been completed. My wife's car is a 55-plate and needs it. Cracking little car it is though...
  • SH4RKY
    SH4RKY Posts: 38
    Sorry to revive an old thread.... But Yes. Yes they do:

IMG_6550_zps3874fe53.jpg

IMG_6533_zpsfa9cb465.jpg

IMG_6541_zps285ea44a.jpg

Loads of room for bags etc too. 5 door so easy to access stacked stuff. If I had a bit of carpet/cardboard to hand I think I could have stacked another one in too :mrgreen:
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    I have put 2 19" MTBs in the back of a KA before. Admittedly it was a bit of a squeeze but just about managed it. You should be fine with a panda.
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Very tempted by the 100's how they to drive? Its that or an Audi A2 at the moment
  • SH4RKY
    SH4RKY Posts: 38
    Great! Only had it a week and im coming down from a ZT 260; but so far its a right hoot.

Small, very chuckable, a bit bouncy :)

Its very small on the outside, but quite large on the inside. 6ft++ friend fits in without much complaint. 5 doors are convenient. Interior is pretty solid, no rattles in mine. Some cheap plastics but thats expected on such a cheap car.
    Boot has a massive opening and seats fold down so it can swallow quite a lot without much hassle. The seats can be removed if needs be too. Just a few bolts holding them in.

But yeah, engine is a gem. Revvy little unit thats nice and quiet when cruizing or at idle etc. pulls well and the 6 speed gearbox is a real beaut. Brakes are a little grabby if you arent used to them. Corners = fun. its light and very grippy. You hardly need brakes, just whack it into a turn and it grips and goes. Ride is ok. I think it depends what you are coming from. There is suspension, just isnt much of it! The rear is a little undamped so can get a bit bouncy - but i hear there are after market dampers to fix that.

No idea what the A2 is like in terms of driving.... but a quick scan of the parkers review makes it sound like a bit of a soft comfortable city car. if that's the case, the panda would eat it alive on the twisties!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have seen two downhill bikes plus a weekends race kit and two riders in a Fiat 500 before. Impressive what you can fit in a small hatchback.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    My mate drives a kia Picanto and can fit two bikes with a weekends kit in them - unless you ride a motorbike two bikes fit in most cars. (I hired an Aygo and I could have got 2 + 2 in that and it was tiny (and tinny))
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    My mate drives a kia Picanto

And you don't mind being seen in public with him? :lol::wink:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    My mate drives a kia Picanto and can fit two bikes with a weekends kit in them

I drive a mondeo, and I can fit 2 bikes and a weekend's kit and a kia picanto in the back.
    Uncompromising extremist