Gears for a Time Trial

P_Tucker
P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
edited January 2011 in Amateur race
Depends. If when you're in the 52x16, would you change up if you could? If yes, then perhaps. If not, no.

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    As above, it depends on whether you can pedal the 52x12/11 at the same cadence as the 52x16, if you can you will go faster.

I will admit I use the 53x11 during TT's, but only normally on downhill parts and if I have a strong tailwind, otherwise I am normally around the middle of the cassette. If you have a 11+ cassette, it is more ideal, as the gears you use most often will be in the middle of the cassette, and this means a straighter chainline, and less friction.
  • i would expect you could go quicker with the gear you have, but it depends how fast you pedal, there is only one proper way to find out though and that is to just do it
  • What chainset are you using? 10 speed? In which case an 11-23 covers your current range, though it might not have an exact 16 tooth sprocket in it, there will be a 15 or a 17 if not...
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Okay so I have an amateur question about gears for a TT;
    At the moment my fastest 10 is 24:01 ridden on youth gears of 52 and 16. If I bought a new cassette, maybe a 12+ or 11+ just for TT use (gears aren't restricted), would I notice an increase in speed?
    Go for a 12/23. This puts the 16 in the middle of the cassette which will give the best chainline. Your 10 time is 25 mph and 98 rpm average. If you could turn the 12 at 98 rpm then you have 33 mph so plenty high enough. This cassette is straight through from 12 to 19 which is as close as you can get. Other option is 11/21 which will give a worse chain line and probably cost more. (Dura-ace only with Shimano or get a BBB. Does not change as slick though.)