To ALL Smartphone (esp. Android) users

joshtp
joshtp Posts: 3,966
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Check this App

http://www.softrace.net/

It's not my main biking app, I use RunKeeper, or Google my tracks most of the time, but this is a really cool little app, it basically put's you in a race against other user's times over a set distance and set discipline... you can also set "challenges" over a set course, for other users to try to beat your time.

I think it's really cool, but it hasn't got many users, so the races are all pretty easy, and there are very few challenges in this country.

It's free on the Android Market, and it a pretty small app, doesnt kill bettery too badly either.

Give it a go, the more users the better!

Oh, and I'm totally unconnected to the company, I just like the app!

Anyone else got any good apps they would recommend?
I like bikes and stuff

Comments

• phz
    phz Posts: 478
    joshtp wrote:

best ive found for tracking rides (and loads of other stuff) is sportypal - they are releasing a pay version soon but the free version is very good and enough for most people

slainte 8) rob
  • cardiotrainer is good but i have started to use oruxmaps. with the software for the pc you can save the maps to your SD card for offline use (saves battery) has open map w/cycle paths and OS maps as well as the usual google and microsoft stuff

preload your route and it can guide you aswell as recording stats and its free
    Spes rockhopper 09 FCN 9
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    pHz wrote:
    joshtp wrote:

best ive found for tracking rides (and loads of other stuff) is sportypal - they are releasing a pay version soon but the free version is very good and enough for most people

slainte 8) rob

Sportypal. Crap name. Good App.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    I use endomondo when I can be bothered, pretty much the same as sportypal but different interface.
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • i use cycle meter on my iphone. seems ok to me.
    Giant Trance X4 2010
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    anyone know any decent apps (similar to above) for blackberry?
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • I like viewranger - you can download OS maps (for a fee) and it tracks you on it. You can use free mapping if you don't want to pay for OS. You can also see exactly where your friends with the same program are if you swap codes, even if your friend uses a different platform (iphone for example). Eventually it will have full GPS functions allowing you to follow a route like a bike Gps, although whether you'd want to strap your phone to the bars is another question! I tend to plot or download routes and then just referring to them every now and again to check I'm still on track... It may be the full GPS routefinding functionality is there and I just haven't worked out how to use it properly yet :? I'm sure I used a free trial before purchase if it sounds any good to you.

It does drain the battery though, so I bought something called a powermonkey - it's like an extra battery you plug in to recharge your phone on the move.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    SportsTracker hands down for me for tracking, but that's Nokia only (at the moment, though it's now a spun off company external from Nokia and they've mentioned possibly supporting other platforms). Also I've only tried apps available to Nokia phones (Endomondo, Viewranger, etc).

Navigating Viewranger is much better, but it's expensive (though less so now you can use free maps rather than the expensive OS map tiles). ST is free though and has Open Street Map on the phone which can be used for navigation.

As for issues with using a GPS phone, you can get external Bluetooth GPS devices and some of these apps will work with them also (whether you have a GPS phone or not), and they can be more reliable and accurate, as well as you can have the GPS device strapped somewhere on the bike, bag or yourself, but keep the phone snug inside a pocket or bag.
  • BenS999 wrote:

http://www.mapmytracks.com

Works on most smartphones and has an Iphone App (called Outfront - which is free until end of Jan) - has a useful website interface for reviewing the ride and stas.

I'm happy with it but depends on what you are looking to get from the app.
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    DickBarton wrote:
    BenS999 wrote:

http://www.mapmytracks.com

Works on most smartphones and has an Iphone App (called Outfront - which is free until end of Jan) - has a useful website interface for reviewing the ride and stas.

I'm happy with it but depends on what you are looking to get from the app.

Cheers - i will download it and give it go, much appreciated
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    The reason I stayed away from android so long is due to memory maps.
    This is the best piece of software made for a smart phone.

It does not need a net connection like most others, this is a key difference as there is rarely a net connection where i ride.

MMtracker is a clone app, only costs a couple of quid (is a demo version, but spend the money).

You need maps for this. They cost a lot of money, but mmtracker does not care about copy protection on the maps, so you can use any version (from any source)

So if you paid for maps for your PC, you do not have to buy them again.

This gives you a moving OS map on screen, with tracks to follow. It records all the info on the routes you ride. You can then play these back in 3d on your PC.

Best toy for biking ever, cannot think what else you would want.

You get to spend yo entire time watching the view with no concern of getting lost.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I use endomondo when I can be bothered, pretty much the same as sportypal but different interface.
    Same here, endomondo is pretty neat.