Hardtail build material

ljs1977
ljs1977 Posts: 247
edited January 2011 in MTB general
I have posted a couple of questions about the best hardtail for XC / Trails.

But what is the best frame material in your honest opinion?

Steel, Carbon, Ti, Ali?

I am currently swaying towards Ti as I would love a life time bike and keep swapping the parts.

Comments

• bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I like the feel of steel, I'd love a ti, but then I have an ally frame that does me fine too. Haven't tried a carbon ht. I'd probably pick titanium just on the grounds of 'ooh shineyness', if nothing else!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • As above in XC mode Steel feels great, Ti feels even nicer and lasts a life time. Carbon chips but OK of XC and Ali is more rigid, heavy and you'll always be thinking I should have bought one of the other 3 frames.

Have you thought of Scandium? or if you're over 5'8" try a 29er

Try Ragley, On One, Cotic or Niner
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    There are some many variables that it's just not that straightforward.

The lightest frames are carbon, and as a general rule you don't sacrifice strength/stiffness to make a frame light, unlike most other materials. For that reason I'd personally choose carbon generally. But... I'd rather have a nice ti frame with decent geometry than a heavy carbon frame with unsuitable geometry.
  • This is like asking what's the best way to get (pleasantly, but not excessively) drunk. You can have a raging good time on beer, wine, spirits, cocktails etc etc.

Similarly, all the materials with high strength-to-weight ratios can be made into great frames - it's down to the skill of the designer to get the best out of them.
    John Stevenson
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    i love my aluminium frame, but having ridden plenty others, its bar far the comfiest ive ridden, which as john said is down the design of the bike, i have to admit tho i do love ti frames, most feel incredible to ride, if they werent so expensive id get a ti bike made with the exact geometry of my maxlight, now that would be ace :D
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    And the ironic part is you might not even be able to tell the difference in ride quality between any of them. which is why you're sposed to demo as many and different as possible.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    John Moore wrote:
    As above in XC mode Steel feels great, Ti feels even nicer and lasts a life time. Carbon chips but OK of XC and Ali is more rigid, heavy and you'll always be thinking I should have bought one of the other 3 frames.

Have you thought of Scandium? or if you're over 5'8" try a 29er

Try Ragley, On One, Cotic or Niner

Scandium is a bit of a joke. A tiny amount is added to the aluminium, which is supposed to make the welded areas stronger. The frame is not actually made of it. Saying that I ride one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ljs1977 wrote:
    I have posted a couple of questions about the best hardtail for XC / Trails.

But what is the best frame material in your honest opinion?

Steel, Carbon, Ti, Ali?

I am currently swaying towards Ti as I would love a life time bike and keep swapping the parts.

Problem with Ti is it's very expensive, and bikes change with time. Sooner or later you will want an up to date design, so will probably replace it anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools