how good/bad is the Charge Mixer?

geoffwetagain
geoffwetagain Posts: 8
edited January 2011 in Commuting general
Hi, how good or bad is the charge mixer, anyone got experiance of owning & what is it like to ride,how much does the large size weigh? Mucho thanks, geoffwetagain.

Comments

• No personal experience so I shouldn't comment, but I have researched it in the past when I was interested, and the general opinion seems to be, style over substance - looks good, but poorly made, over-heavy frame.
  • I had a Tap. 8 speed hub gear but no discs. I liked it, the hub gears aren't as efficient as good ole chain gears but the maintenance is minimal. They are a tad heavy but I'd put it down to the hub rather than the frame. As for low build quality, it's a steel frame so no fancy profile tubes and the welds are neat so no beef there. Currently riding a Freestyle as the Tap was nicked. They're currently on sale at Wiggle for about £550 and I think that's a good price. That's my only beef with Charge bikes, they do seem a tad pricey but if you can get one in a sale then go for it.

MERRY NEW YEAR folks!!!!
    Dance like nobody is watching, ride like you're 10 minutes late!
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    I've a 2010 Mixer and I love it.

People say frame is heavy, but I don't think it is. It's heavy vs a carbon road bike, but as a commuter it's more than acceptable.

The double butted tubes are strong where needed and very springy (read comfortable). The bike geometry is very track-like so it encourages you to go hard and rewards with great handling in busy traffic.

The Alfine hub provides slick gear changing and though it doesn't give the range of 3 x 9 derailleur set up, it's ample for the steep ascends and descends for my hilly route (West Yorkshire). I max out at 35-36mph with a cadence of 130.

Comes with the Spoon saddle – very comfy.

Weak points – handlebar rubber. Transfers every shock into the palm. I replaced with some Ergon grips.

I had a few broken spokes with the rear wheel, but I think that was the results of poor wheel build in the Far East. Charge UK have since re-built the wheel under warranty. Only done one 23 mile commute since re-build and no problems to report.

If you’re looking for a tough, reliable and a fast commuter, get it. If you’re looking for a bike that doubles up for club runs, don’t. Get an out and out road bike.

I’m 6 foot 2 and the large size fits me well. The saddle only rises a couple of inches out of the stem.

Re frame paint – no problems to report, but I ride mine with full mudguards so the frame is somewhat shielded from the wheel throwback.

Hope this helps.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    What is the Mixer like for tyre clearance, mudguard and rack fitting, toe-clip overlap with front wheel and chain tensioning?
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    The stock tyres (Conti Sport Contacts) come in 32mm and I got the SKS P45 guards on it just about. You couldn't get a tyre with a taller profile in there - say Schwalbe Marathon -with mudguards.

There are separate eyelets for pannier racks and mounts for two water bottles.

You don't need to worry about chain tension - the Mixer comes with a wide bottom bracket with means the chainring is further out. You get a near-perfect chainline.

There is slight toe overlap, especially with mudguards, but I only get this when doing 90 degree turns. You quickly realise not to do sharp turns. Toe overlap isn't an issue 99% of the time.
  • Hi

I recently bought a 2010 Mixer for commuting. It is perfect for the role. I have added mudguards (42 mm wide SKS) and a Tortec pannier rack which I had from an old MTB, which fits a treat despite the disc brakes.

It is a nice frame geometry, it is fast and has quick steering, but turning the stem over rises the riding position a few inches and is great for commuting and better for the back on longer rides. Doing this still leaves a fairly sporty riding position.

The Alfine hub is awesome, really smooth and quiet, with a great range. I generally don't use below 3rd for my hilly Yorkshire commute, but 1st and 2nd are useful when fully laden with shopping, etc. Changing wheels is an absolute doddle, although you will need a 15mm spanner and having a multitool with pliers will help.

The brakes are great, very consistent and far better than rim brakes throughout our cold and wet winter so far... Having a rear disk is probably overkill, especially as the front brake does most of the work, but it has been useful on icy and snowy days.

No problems to report as yet. as state the grips are hard, although an up to 1 hour commute I find this is no problem. If I was going touring then I would out on some ergon type grips.

Toe overlap is perhaps the only issue, but is a minor one at most and almost an inevitable consequence of the short wheelbase/quick handling. As others state, 99% of the time it is not an issue...

It is steel framed and the hub and discs add further weight. I don't know the weight but am told it is 25 lbs plus. This is not really an issue for me as I add plenty of weight with panniers, change of clothes, lunch, papers, etc. If you are obsessed with weight then you might be put off, but realistically it is a sensible compromise.

For commuting, or as a general all rounder type bike then I highly recommend.

Ant