Brand New Sportive Website

Got an email promoting this new website devoted to Sportives - http://www.uksportives.co.uk.

Seems to have a really up to date event calendar for 2011.

Comments

• polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    I have swopped a few emails with Alan the guy who has set this up. He is a true sportive enthuthiast and a really decent guy. He is also on twitter and facebook.

AL
  • abeez
    abeez Posts: 13
    Hey...

Many thanks.... Just a Note the site Has currently been disabled for registrations, If you would like to register, drop as and e-mail from the site...

Also site is not fully loaded with events yet..

Allen.. Cheers, And thanks to original poster (Not sure who you are...

Alan..... (Site: Owner, Founder Uk Sportives.co.uk (Just back from Cornwall, My home.
    UK Sportives - List Your Cyclosportive with us Today - Full Events Listings to Plan your Cycling Year Cycling a sport and passion Like No Other "Ride like it's your last"
  • Rather curiously it is listing my Snowdrop event on the 19th February but I don't recall supplying the website with details of the event. Howeverm I am hardly going to complain.

If the website owner reads this message, thanks for including it in your schedule.

As for sportive websites generally, SportiveCentral.com seemed to die a death and Cyclosport.org's forum is hardly breathing. I just hope that this new site has better luck and attraction to riders.
  • abeez
    Philip

I list events I find on the web, I cannot Judge those other sites on how they are performing etc.

My Aims and why I started UK Sportives..

To list events in an organised easy to see fashion.
    Riders can plan and see how many other events are happening on same day.
    Riders can see sportives and Charity bike rides, and Tours easily
    Cyclosportive Clubs (A new Idea on our part, early stages yet)

The forum on site, I really am not to concerned about at this stage (The main content is for cyclosportive events and Charity rides.. Gradually cyclosportive clubs community, also I want the public to get more involved at the start and finish, and also some of the harder climbs etc, this will encourage more riders etc.

Hey there is nothing more frustrating than trying to find various sportive, and charity bike events splattered all over the web, what better way than what our type of site does to see events all in one place.

Another reason or purpose is that my intentions are to Bring cyclosportive events by me to my home county Cornwall, so the site is flexible in what content and purpose it is used for.. A tour of Cornwall etc....

Many thanks for your comments, as stated I add cyclosportives constantly at the moment on a weekly basis, cyclist should have the freedom of choosing what appeals to them..
    UK Sportives - List Your Cyclosportive with us Today - Full Events Listings to Plan your Cycling Year Cycling a sport and passion Like No Other "Ride like it's your last"
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Don't they have a sportive calendar on the British Cycling website?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • abeez
    Yep we all know British cycling, and yes they have a calender...(They don't actually list many Charity Bike events tho, not sure actually if they list any).. Hey all sites are slightly different, be it design content etc...

My site I actually take the time out to find events, then list them (Users don't have to add them, but they are welcome to fill in my custom form..

Hey there are most probably also 2000+ other cycling related sites, and this one.

Blimey didn't realise. The original user had good intentions by just mentioning my site, I knew nothing of this.....

I let the users find me through Google and other search engines, that I have worked so far, hard to get it listed.. GOOD LUCK to ya all..
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Rather curiously it is listing my Snowdrop event on the 19th February but I don't recall supplying the website with details of the event. Howeverm I am hardly going to complain.

If the website owner reads this message, thanks for including it in your schedule.

As for sportive websites generally, SportiveCentral.com seemed to die a death and Cyclosport.org's forum is hardly breathing. I just hope that this new site has better luck and attraction to riders.

Re sportivecentral. Richie has decided to reinvent the site . He is concentrating on completing his accounts of all the major British climbs and his vivid accounts of challenging hilly rides. A new name for the site may follow, but the site is well worth a look as the content is both interesting and unique.
    Re the new sportive site, I hope it goes well for you!
  • abeez
    Nickwell
    Thank you a positive thinker....
  • Good luck, we could do with websites that kick some life into the sport. It is good to see individuals prepared to produce something constructive.
  • Exactly what is was looking for. :lol:
    ... must train harder
  • What does this add to cyclosport.org and others, for example cycling weekly maintain a list of sportives now they have cottoned on to the fact that more people ride sportives than take part in time trials.

None of these lists are anything like complete, what would be useful is to have a website that does have a complete list, cyclosport.org did briefly achieve that a year or so ago but they now are trying to become a general cycling website in competition with lots of better established rivals.
  • abeez
    None of these lists are anything like complete, what would be useful is to have a website that does have a complete list, cyclosport.org did briefly achieve that a year or so ago but they now are trying to become a general cycling website in competition with lots of better established rivals.

Well I think that would be Impossible to keep track of every single event...
    What I personally try to do is list what I find out there, soon I hope to add Triathlons..

At least with such sites we are trying our best to keep the cyclist informed to the best of our ability, without too much clutter
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    James Piggot- Uksportives is being proactive and looking for events to add the site. Its easy to say 'None of these lists are anything like complete'. You then go on to state that Cyclosport only briefly had a complete list. Why do YOU think that is?

Then you state that cyclosport 'are trying to become a general cycling website' well if they move away from sportive listings then Uksportives will be incredibly relevant.

For a non profit making site such as Uksportives to list every event is nigh on impossible without event organisers contacting them. Can you imagine how much time would have to be spent trawling forums and magazines etc every single day to keep the lists up to date.

Rather than criticising the efforts of someone who is actually trying to make the kind of list you actually want. How about sending a helpful email to fill in any gaps of events you know are missing from the site.

Or you can come on here and have a pop at a free website that has only been running for a month or so.

Allen Bridge. Polocini cyclosportives organiser.
  • Polocini wrote:
    Rather than criticising the efforts of someone who is actually trying to make the kind of list you actually want. How about sending a helpful email to fill in any gaps of events you know are missing from the site.

Or you can come on here and have a pop at a free website that has only been running for a month or so.

I think you may be a tad over-reacting. Nobody here is criticising the new website - quite the opposite.
  • Oh quickey, I hope it was not my initial message that came across negatively. If it read as such then I must apologise.

Thanks to UKSportives for in such efforts and thanks for listing my event!