mini d locks are they worth the money

simonc2806
simonc2806 Posts: 31
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
hi all just a quick question do's anyone use a mini d lock and if so are they easy to use. only asking as the reviews on websites are mixed. it's really a weight saving thing as i have to carry my lock to work everyday and it weighs a ton. i'm looking at the Kryptonite range as i have heard the security is second to none. any info would be gratefully received thanks.

Comments

• hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    I use a mini faghetabouddit d-lock around my rear wheel, frame and whatever immovable object it will fit around as the primary lock. I then use a second mini evolution d-lock around the frame and the immovable object with a kryptoflex cable around the front wheel and frame locked into the faghettaboutit.

the bike looks and feels plenty secure when it's locked up with them but you will find you are sometimes limited in choices of where you can shackle as they can be restrictive and the weight savings are minimal.

really it comes down to what you are locking up, what you're locking it to and how much you want it to still be there when you come back. in london i'd rather lug round a bit of extra weight and keep hold of my bike than try to reduce the weight until eventually it becomes weightless because it has somehow vanished into thin air.

this thread on another forum has some very good reading but is quite long...

http://www.lfgss.com/thread17938.html
    Hat + Beard
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I can get my mini fagh through the rear triangle (near brake bridge) through wheel and through a sheffield stand - takes some practice, but the whole shackle is filled with bike/stand).

If I can't get the bike close enough, I'll go through a chain stay or seat stay, spokes and then round a sheffield stand (depends how close the stand is to a wall, so my rear triangle can't be lined up).

If you need to attach to anything bigger than a sheffield stand, then you will have a problem.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Cant you leave the lock at work?

In our bike sheds everyone leaves their locks ,which frankly can be annoying if they only cycle once in a blue moon or have given up and you have rusting locks in the way but it means i can leave the d and cable lock through a roof beam in the corner out of the way and not worry about the weight i have to lug on top of the rest of the stuff i carry .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    forgot to say my mini d's are my 'portable' locks. I have a faghet chain that lives at work but comes with me if i'm going somewhere particularly dodgy.
    Hat + Beard
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    On my commute I'm lucky that I don't have to bother with a lock at all - and if I'm out and about the I sling an Abus Granit chain that could secure the houses of Parliament over my shoulder.

I would have thought that a mini D coupled with a high quality cable should be fine for lighter duty though? And those small-of-the-back bolsters look like a really neat carrying solution to me.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.