Wet trousers

stevo599
stevo599 Posts: 40
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Hi folks

Currently wearing Endura Singletrack trousers when its cold but they get so cold and heavy when wet. Thought about tights with padded shorts?

What do you guys wear at this time of year.

Cheers

Stevo

Comments

• shorts... lycra under them for warmth.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Sometimes just my DH shorts, sometimes my tights with DH shorts over them and sometimes my DH pants.

Thats nearly always with knee pads as well which act as good knee warmers
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Shorts with padded cycle shorts underneath, knee pads, short socks and that's it.

Lower legs are going to get the most wet and muddy and it's much easier if you just let your bare legs get covered in mud than have heavy muddy & wet tights or trousers which in turn makes you cold. Bare muddy legs don't feel the cold much I find. Cover the knees upwards and that's all you need.

Move more and you'll keep warm anyway ;)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Tights or leg warmers all the way. Decent ones won't get soggy and they'll keep you warm. Never wear armour myself though.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tights with a cheap pair of trackpants over.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fatwomble
    fatwomble Posts: 117
    Ronhill bikesters
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    cooldad wrote:
    Tights with a cheap pair of trackpants over.

+1
  • I normally only wear lycra bibs with a pair of mtb shorts over them, and leg warmers if needed. I normally take them off regardless of temperature.

I find normally only my feet are really badly wet and cold, but overshoes fix that. Legs are always fine.
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    A good set of windproof tights are best for wet cold rides.

I wear unpadded ones with lycra underneath. Unpadded are generally cheaper and I have plenty of shorts.

Baggies over the top if you are concerned about how you look.
  • A whole host of things. Sometimes I'll wear 3/4 insulated bibs, sometimes with windproof baggies over the top sometimes with waterproof baggies. Baggies are always 3/4 length, I don't like wearing full length trousers on a bike, although I'll wear leg warmers or tights on the road bike or underneath 3/4's on the mountain bike. I'll sometimes wear thermal tights over bibshorts with no baggies if it's very cold but dry. As a rule I avoid bibtights, they are a lot of money to spend on something I'll use for 3 months of the year and rarely have a brilliant seat. If i spend lots of money on bibshorts I can use them all year with baggies, leg and knee warmers and with tights and get better value for money
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Sealskinz mankini and, if it's really cold, a bright ribbon in my hair.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    As a rule I avoid bibtights, they are a lot of money to spend on something I'll use for 3 months of the year and rarely have a brilliant seat. If i spend lots of money on bibshorts I can use them all year with baggies, leg and knee warmers and with tights and get better value for money

I always get unpadded bib tights, wear over your favourite shorts, sorted. I personally reckon decent quality ones are well worth it. I've just retired my favourite Assos ones after about 8 years of almost exclusive use, they're warmer and fit better than anything cheaper too. IMO of course.
  • Aldo001
    Aldo001 Posts: 251
    Shorts...
    No tights or anything.
    Only bits that were cold yesterday were my hands and feet.
    ;)
  • theshrew
    theshrew Posts: 169
    Shaggy_Dog wrote:
    A whole host of things. Sometimes I'll wear 3/4 insulated bibs, sometimes with windproof baggies over the top sometimes with waterproof baggies. Baggies are always 3/4 length, I don't like wearing full length trousers on a bike, although I'll wear leg warmers or tights on the road bike or underneath 3/4's on the mountain bike. I'll sometimes wear thermal tights over bibshorts with no baggies if it's very cold but dry. As a rule I avoid bibtights, they are a lot of money to spend on something I'll use for 3 months of the year and rarely have a brilliant seat. If i spend lots of money on bibshorts I can use them all year with baggies, leg and knee warmers and with tights and get better value for money

Anything you dont wear lol
    Ive not been riding long have only worn shorts so far. I did byt a set of tights i will wear when its really cold but hope not to have to wear them im just going to get some knee pads to keep my knees warm
  • njee20 wrote:
    I always get unpadded bib tights, wear over your favourite shorts, sorted. I personally reckon decent quality ones are well worth it. I've just retired my favourite Assos ones after about 8 years of almost exclusive use, they're warmer and fit better than anything cheaper too. IMO of course.

I've not given unpadded bibtights a try, to be fair. As I exclusively wear bibshorts I don't see the need for a bib on the tights as well, I find my current tights dont ride down like a pair of normal cycling shorts might, and the seat stays in place because they're part of my bibshorts. The insulating properties of bibtights around the gut and lower back would surely be beneficial on very cold days, (I have some padded bibtights but I don't like the fit around the knees and the seat isn't very good) I ought to give them a shot
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Waterproof baggies are a gift from the gods. Love my Altura Attacks, I've got a set of 3/4s for riding without kneepads and a set of shorts for riding with and both are fantastic. Really couldn't go back.
    Uncompromising extremist