windproof tops??

percey
percey Posts: 53
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
hi there guys, am looking for a bloody good windproof top to wear, i have the base layers and tops sorted, but there seems to be so many windproof tops out there am some are silly money, budget can go up to £100, or so, but assos are really too much wonga, anyone out there who could point me in the right direction, and recomend any???

cheers percey

Comments

• I have not tried this, yet, but I have a few other bits of Shutt gear and the quality is as good as Assos (comparing £89 Shutt bib shorts vs Assos F1 shorts £100(+)).

Shutt also are becoming renowned for having excellent customer service. I would recommend calling them and they will answer, honestly, any questions you have. I doubt you would be disappointed by it.

Shutt Windproof Jacket
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Without getting into the whole "colour" debate, my concern would be the colour of the Shutt top from a visibility POV. Personal choice though.

If you can track down a Gore Phantom II for your budget (certainly do-able), they are fab.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    Without getting into the whole "colour" debate, my concern would be the colour of the Shutt top from a visibility POV. Personal choice though.
    I

+1

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,897
    are you looking for a shell to go over long sleeve jersey etc?

if so, the castelli legerra jacket is good, windproof, ok in a shower too, extremely light, scrunches up small so it only takes up part of a pocket

http://castelli-cycling.com/en/products/reviews/259/
    http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=cast ... ero+jacket
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    edited January 2011
    BenBlyth wrote:
    I have not tried this, yet, but I have a few other bits of Shutt gear and the quality is as good as Assos (comparing £89 Shutt bib shorts vs Assos F1 shorts £100(+)).

Shutt also are becoming renowned for having excellent customer service. I would recommend calling them and they will answer, honestly, any questions you have. I doubt you would be disappointed by it.

Shutt Windproof Jacket
    Their customer service wasn't that good imo, their bespoke service full of mistakes, and their kit is nowhere as nice as Assos, for quality or fit.
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    I've found my Pearl Izumi Zephrr jacket to be very windproof, and at £34 at PBK a steal - no visibility issues with the 'Screaming Yellow' colour either but I believe it's available in red or black too
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • I have a Gore xenon (I think?) windproof top and I have to say it's best piece of bike clothing I wear.

It is quite warm and VERY windproof. I wear it in anything below 10 degrees down to sub zero without problems. If it rains I just have a very cheap thin waterproof I throw on top although it's actually quite rain proof itself.

Cost £80 from Evans in sales last year.

Tony
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    AndyF16 wrote:
    I've found my Pearl Izumi Zephrr jacket to be very windproof, and at £34 at PBK a steal - no visibility issues with the 'Screaming Yellow' colour either but I believe it's available in red or black too

Black or Red versions are under £30!
  • miggers
    miggers Posts: 269
    BenBlyth wrote:
    I have not tried this, yet, but I have a few other bits of Shutt gear and the quality is as good as Assos (comparing £89 Shutt bib shorts vs Assos F1 shorts £100(+)).

Shutt Windproof Jacket
    Thanks Ben - How's it going, Happy New Year!

If @percey wants to drop me an email I am happy to help too…

Cheers, Pete
    Peter Bragg
    www.shuttvr.com
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    jonmack wrote:

even more of a steal then! they don't look very substantial but mine was even good with just a 190g merino underneath, watching a kids' rugby match on an exposed field for 3 hours in +5/6 and a stiff breeze (mid 50 mile ride, in case you thought i went out socially dressed in cycle gear :wink: )
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • alitodd
    alitodd Posts: 104
    Gore tops. Mine hasn't let me down yet.
    I know not where I am going, my future will decide. But it's not the destination, it's the glory of the ride.

Giant Reign X1 2009 (With shiny bits)
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,529
    campag heritage thermo txn is spot on. its almost a racing fit but the sizing is pretty standard (ie get the size you norrmally would)

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/campagnolo/heritage-thermo-txn-jacket-ec025133?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    I have a Gore xenon (I think?) windproof top and I have to say it's best piece of bike clothing I wear.

It is quite warm and VERY windproof. I wear it in anything below 10 degrees down to sub zero without problems.

+1
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    AndyF16 wrote:
    jonmack wrote:

even more of a steal then! they don't look very substantial but mine was even good with just a 190g merino underneath, watching a kids' rugby match on an exposed field for 3 hours in +5/6 and a stiff breeze (mid 50 mile ride, in case you thought i went out socially dressed in cycle gear :wink: )

I'll see what I think of it when mine arrives :D couldn't pass on it though for that price.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    The Shutt Race Cape is the business. It's light, waterproof and packs into a small pocket.It's not quite as tailored as the Assos Climajet but at less than half the price it's a snip.
    Despite the assertions of one of the posters on here, I've always found their customer service to be exemplary, and the fact that their garments are British made to be the clincher for me.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Windproof top can mean anything to a lightweight windbreaker that you can roll-up and keep in your back pocket to a full-blown thermal winter top. It depends on what you want it for and the type of riding / conditions. The problem with many lightweight shells is that they annoyingly flap about, don't breathe that well and provide sod-all thermal properties - fine for spring-autumn but useless in winter. For serious winter riding i.e. 3-4 hours in all conditions, I'd look at a thermal top made from a windproof laminate fleece - Gore products are well made and good value IMO.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    gsk82 wrote:
    campag heritage thermo txn is spot on. its almost a racing fit but the sizing is pretty standard (ie get the size you norrmally would)

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/campagnolo/heritage-thermo-txn-jacket-ec025133?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

8) I'm glad you've said that as I've got one on order (although it was dispatched over week ago and it still hasn't arrived)
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    Cant go wrong for £43.00. Altura stuff is very good not popular among the snobs though. They will swear blind by Assos paying x3's as much dismissing all others as inferior. I have some Assos kit but heres the rub, Im not daft enough to think its the be all and end all. I like a large and varied wardrobe. :wink:

I bought one on principle. 8)

http://www.bikesyoulike.co.uk/product/5961/Altura_Reflex_Ergo_Fit_Windproof_Jacket_200910
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I have one of these in black:

http://www.showerspass.com/catalog/men/ ... ainer-sale

A little over budget but blimey it's good!

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    I bought a Gore Windproof jacket from Evans back in November. I had been using a cheap one prior to this and I have to say the Gore has been worth every penny of it's £100+ price tag (it was around 120 i think). Well worth the extra punt if you can afford it. Have worn it all trough the cold snap with just a basic base layer underneath and been warm as toast - can't recommend them enough. Sizing is perfect and has plenty of clever pockets.
    You won't be disappointed and i'm sure you could get a bargain in the sales!
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103

If you can track down a Gore Phantom II for your budget (certainly do-able), they are fab.

Completely agree- think wheelbase.co.uk have a sale on