new to mountain biking

leighton 2303
leighton 2303 Posts: 12
edited January 2011 in MTB beginners
just thought i would say hello and introduce my self
just bought a second hand hardtail bike and want to get into mountain biking its a carrera vulcan not sure what year it is it cost £70 and i have just spent about £100 on a few mods so im stripping the bike down which went really well and going to be rebuilding it tomorrow but i noticed on one of the wheels the QR skewer is missing the nut off the end of the skewer as i dont know all part names what is the nut called and can i buy a new one or do i need a new skewer and the best place to buy them went halfords looked about the store and asked someone but he didnt have a clue any help and advice about the sport would be great thanks
leighton

Comments

• birchy
    birchy Posts: 309
    Just go down to your lbs (local bike shop) take the skewer with you and see if they have any spare parts kicking about. if they are anything like my lbs they have loads of spare bits stripped off old knackered bikes kicking about at the back of the workshop.
    Other than that just buy yourself some new ones they are not that expensive. :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably easiest to get a new skewer, make sure you get the right one - front and rear are different lengths.

A bit of punctuation will make your posts much easier to read.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lol ok ill had a few full stops next time, and coma's. sorry
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    lol ok ill had a few full stops next time, and coma's. sorry
    I almost went into a coma reading it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    lol ok ill had a few full stops next time, and coma's. sorry
    I almost went into a coma reading it.

Problem when you've had a few full stops.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • what are everybody's reviews on the carrera vulcan, i have been doing a bit of research on parts and mods and the sram x4 parts on the bike are entry level, also fitted are tektro mechanical disc brakes would you recomend a upgrade to hydraulic, and upgrade gears too, just bought the shimano alivio crank and octalink bb, as the suntour crank needed replacing, what do you lot think, like i posted im my first thread i havent owned a bike in 14 years im a newbie, i plan on doing alot of road use and heavy mountain use, as i live in the welsh valleys there are a few high mountains behind me and in front of me so i want strong and quality upgrades.
    cheers
    leighton
    hope the punctuation was better i didnt do well in english gcse lmao
  • Welcome, Those who rate Carreras on here tend to do so quite highly. You will doubtless find loads of threads about them by using the search facility on here. Do not use the obvious one at the top of the page, use the "SEARCH" option next to "MEMBERS LIST" below it. I fumbled around in the dark here for a year or so until i spotted the other search facility. My fault for reading from the top down I suppose. Terribly old fashioned like that! :lol: