What's your 2011 tour?

Jonny_road
Jonny_road Posts: 68
edited February 2011 in Tour & expedition
Each year I try to do at least a 2 week tour. Last year was the Route des Grande Alpes which was an amazing trip so I’m after a bit of inspiration for 2011. My question is what’s your 2011 tour?

Comments

• we are doing mull to hull in august. 450 miles in 8 days, so nothing major, just a ride for all abilities.
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Brittany. A couple of days watching the Tour de France, and then bimbling around for, I hope, a week or so. Can't wait.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Glasgow to Durness - again. Last year did it in 2 stages, train to Mallaig and cycle back over 2 days, then train to Mallaig and cycle to Durness (via Skye, Loch Carron, Torridon and Ullapool) over 3 days. I was dissappointed I could not do it in 1 go due to other commitments.

This year going to do it in 1 go, but take a slightly more western route! Cycle to Oban, ferry to Barra, cycle/ferry western isles ferry to Ullapool, then Durness.

Probably in July..... midgetastic!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • aegrey
    aegrey Posts: 15
    My tours are quite short due to other commitments, done the Coast 2 Coast (Whitehaven- Tynemouth, 3 days) and Loch to Glens North (Inverness - Glasgow, 4 days). this year will do a variation of the Lon Las Cymru one, from Cardiff to Caernarfon but then from Caernarfon somehow to Chester, where my car will be waiting at the train station car park to take us back home. With 3 other friends we'll take 5-6 days. We'll be driving to Chester and taking the train to Cardiff from there. Probably in June, but already looking forward to it!
    Saracen Ruftrax2 (now only for commuting, later for touring)
    Cube LTD Race 2011
    Specialized Allez Sport 27 2007
  • Me and 3 mates will be doing our 1st tour which will be John O Groats to Lands End, hope I'm fit enough :shock:
  • Just planning a route around South West and West Ireland. Start in Cork, head south and then follow the coast up to Galway before looping around Lough Comb to Limerick and finally back to Cork.

Might pop in a short 4 day tour from home in Birmingham through to the Welsh coast and back and also a very quick one day C2C, though thats not really a tour...
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    The last 3 years have been Pyrenees, Alps, Pyrenees so looking for something a little different I'm hoping to do Trieste to Munich probably via Salzburg for those who want a shorter run. 5-7 days hopefully taking in the Sella Ronda and the Grossglockner.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Rothsay
    Rothsay Posts: 64
    This year a trip round the Forest of Dean area in May with a couple of friends and the C2C in June - Whitehaven to Sunderland with my other half - her first tour!
  • gazrolo
    gazrolo Posts: 28
    Great idea for a post! 5 of us doing John'O Groats to Lands End starting good Friday 2011. 1000 mile in 10 days. Can't believe how difficult it has been to plan the route, there's a lot of stuff on line but basically it comes down to mapping out the route yourself using what's out there to help you. Hopefully going to change this with our blog & route maps.

Really fancy going abroad again next year. Last year did Passportes du Soleil on the MTB's. Alp's are a beautiful place to be in the summer.

Cheers,
    Gaz
    JOGLE Blog April 2011
    Twitter: G_Rolo
  • looe
    looe Posts: 12
    3 weeks in France cycle camping........... can't wait. Also a lot of 3 day touring in Devon and Cornwall. I work 4 day weeks so plenty of time !!!!!!!!!!!
    CUBE Touring 2010
    Trek 1200
  • Interesting to hear what everyone’s doing so keep them coming. Was thinking of LEJOG next year but it seems a popular one so could be tempted by that this year. Although angling towards the Raid Pyrénéen. So many choices, if only I didn't have to work :D
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    The first tour I've planned for this year is a 6-day one starting in Surrey, into Sussex, Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight, New Forest, Dorset and back via Wiltshire. About 410 miles.

I'm hoping to continue my tour of National Parks in June, taking in the Lakes, Northumberland and North York Moors.
  • Mayhemwmb
    Mayhemwmb Posts: 108
    My mate did a 'TOON 2 TOWN' (Newcastle to Llanelli) ride last year unsupported, this year we are doing the same ride and raising a bit of cash along the way for Help for Heroes and the Ray Gravell Charitable Trust. Doing that to arrive in time for the last game of the season Scarlets V Cardiff Blues!!

September I'm hoping to get a place on the Help for Heroes 'Ride to Recovery' ride. This goes from Plymouth to Tidworth to Colchester, to Catterick, to Edinburgh. I know it'll be a challenge but really hoping to get a place.

Also going to do a couple of shorter rides in between - I find doing these rides really important - gives me something to motivate myself towards!!!!!!
  • I'm contemplating London - Barcelona as a start... Not real plan yet but it sounds nice. Just purchased an On-One Inbred to build up... :-)
    Offroad: Canyon Nerve XC8 (2012)
    Touring / Commuting: On-One Inbred (2011)(FCN9)

http://uninspiredramblings.wordpress.com
  • Taking the plunge this year, my notice is going in at work come April. Then it's 4 months pottering around Europe before flying to Argentina in August and attempting to ride to Canada, should hopefully keep me good for 18 months....

I'm 50% excited and 50% sh*tting myself for the road ahead :lol: Keeping a crazyguy journal here, to keep my mum sane more than anything http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/8063
  • gazrolo
    gazrolo wrote:
    Great idea for a post! 5 of us doing John'O Groats to Lands End starting good Friday 2011. 1000 mile in 10 days. Can't believe how difficult it has been to plan the route, there's a lot of stuff on line but basically it comes down to mapping out the route yourself using what's out there to help you. Hopefully going to change this with our blog & route maps.

Really fancy going abroad again next year. Last year did Passportes du Soleil on the MTB's. Alp's are a beautiful place to be in the summer.

Cheers,
    Gaz

Our route is now fully mapped out: 1020 miles in 10 days, incorporating what should be an awesome section covering West Coast of Scotland.

Let me know what you think: http://journal.garethroulston.co.uk/?page_id=87

Gaz
    JOGLE Blog April 2011
  • gazrolo
    I'm contemplating London - Barcelona as a start... Not real plan yet but it sounds nice. Just purchased an On-One Inbred to build up... :-)

Hi Chris,

Do you have any idea on mileage or time it will take? Sounds like a promising trip, would be beautiful I reckon....cycling through the French sun all day, before relaxing at a remote Vineyard in the evening. Ah I wanna go now!
    JOGLE Blog April 2011
  • Coast-2-Coast across the USA...solo...and unsupported.

Oh.....in 26 days!

www.jacksonvilleorbust.co.uk
  • I would like to do the Eurovelo 6; Atlantic to the Black Sea, but cannot find any one who has done this to tell me It's either a good idea or I'm mad.
    Brian
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Would love to do something longer, but a wee 4 day trip in the Pyrenees will have to do for me this year.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    gazrolo wrote:
    gazrolo wrote:

Cheers,
    Gaz

Our route is now fully mapped out: 1020 miles in 10 days, incorporating what should be an awesome section covering West Coast of Scotland.

Let me know what you think: http://journal.garethroulston.co.uk/?page_id=87

Gaz

Not west enough!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    We'll most likely be cycling central Germany and a bit of Holland in June. Something like start in Maastricht and cycle north to Arnhem, east to Berlin, south to Dresden, west to Frankfurt than back to Maastricht. All together about 1700kms in three weeks and if we run out of time we can skip the last bit as we've cycled the Rhine before and know the trains in Germany are bike friendly.
  • I would like to do the Eurovelo 6; Atlantic to the Black Sea, but cannot find any one who has done this to tell me It's either a good idea or I'm mad.
    Brian

You don't have to do it all at once!

I've cycled from Nantes to Beaune - mainly following EV6 but diverting to get picked up by the European Bike Express. I'm going back to Beaune to continue the route as far as Passau, possibly Venice this summer.

It's a great route though sometimes i left the side of the Loire to ride into towns and villages to buy food and wine.