Le Grand-Bornard - opinions?

durhamwasp
durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
edited January 2011 in Tour & expedition
Just wondering peoples views on the place?

We (me, wife and 1yr old daughter) are considering spending a chilled out week there, the 2nd week of July. Probs staying at the Camping L'escale, anybody been, or know anywhere better?

Is there much to do for a week? any recommendations? Im gonna spend 2 or 3 days on the bike, any suggestions? Looks like a double ascent of the Colombiere, Aravis and Romme are all close and doable, again anybody done them and whats ya opinions?
Think a couple of times it will be just me on the road bike, but im gonna take a tourer with a child seat on back and look to get her up a couple of climbs.

My other option is to head back to Bedoin and get my daughter up le geant to meet Tom, or Annecy.

We basicaly want a chilled campsite holiday, the odd walk about and some cyclin options.
http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....

Comments

• Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Some info here (we are also thinking of going next year)
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12740678
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I know le Grand Bornand very well (I have very good friends who have lived there for generations). It is a lovely place with a really good community feel, compared with the affluence of Annecy or the inevitable tourism-only feel of the big ski centres. They also do very good guide booklets for visitors, setting out all the options for a stay.

Some positives (off the bike): the weekly street market is old-world, local produce-led and a real village occasion. Good for both shopping and people-watching (get there early and have breakfast). The "Maison de Patrimoine" museum is fascinating - it is a traditional alpine farmhouse, restored and maintained as it would have been for hundreds of years. We had a guided tour in French; not sure if they do English, but I would pay someone to translate just to get the information about how these places were built and used. It is humbling to think that people lived like that. The local cinema is good, too.

Out and about (still off the bike): Annecy is very close and very charming; the gorge road out though le Petit Bornand and down towards Bonneville is a worthwhile excursion in itself. The ski bubbles up to the plateau set you down at a place with great views and footpaths back to the village.

On the bike (finally); colombieres, aravis, saisies are all good rides. You could probably just about manage the Cormet de Roselend from there if you are fit, or have transport to get you there (or back). You will also get some cracking VTT (MTB) runs around there with bike hire plentiful.

I hope that you have a great time.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Cheers mate, excellent info!

I think we are going to book up on the campsite for 6 nights in July
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....