bike maintenance ,mechanic courses

murfeey
murfeey Posts: 68
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Going to retrain next year as Have started to look at bike courses,problem there are quite a few,in the industry is there a bench mark std or more than one qualification needed any advice thanks murf.

happy new year !!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Cytec is the Industry standard.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • from one murphy to another...

my brother is currently doing a course here

http://www.cycle-systems-academy.co.uk/

its city & guilds, its about one full weekend a month for a year (concentrating on one area at a time i.e. wheel building; headsets etc) and you take a test at the end of every session. pass them all for the cert! its not cheap though, 1k plus i think.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Cy-tech is the widest known course. It is run by ATG training, they do a few levels. First level covers all the basics from H&S, basic selling (as they realise that many mechanics get roped into shop floor sales occasionally as well), then onto a 3 day course where you learn all cycle mechanical jobs, then a 2 day course on wheelbuilding. It is expensive though, I think the first level is around £3k if you do it on your own. There used to be the option of government funding if you were employed in the trade, but they wanted a £1300 contribution from your employer.