Bontrager XR2 or XR4 tires

will8
will8 Posts: 82
edited January 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I just have pick up my new trek, Its says it comes with bomtrager xr3 tires and what i have read, these aret the best in muddy conditions, so i ordered some xr4 tires.

Well the bike came with xr2s, now from i have quickly read that these tires aret that bad for winter condition.

Now iam no tire pro, so should i keep the xr2 on or change them to the xr4 when they get delivered. ??

Thanks and happy new year.

Will

Comments

• I’ve not used the tyres but the XR2’s are fast rolling tyres and are ideal for hardpack terrain. The XR4's are also fast rolling tyres but they are designed for loose and rocky conditions. I don't think the XR2's will be any good for the mud.

You have not said what terrain you are likely to be riding but if it was me, I would send the XR4’s back and order some of the excellent Bontrager Mud X’s for the winter mud riding. These can be picked up from JE James for £19.99 each.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/bontrage ... 40597.html

Keep the XR2’s for when the ground starts to harden up in the spring.
  • will8
    Shotsaway wrote:
    I’ve not used the tyres but the XR2’s are fast rolling tyres and are ideal for hardpack terrain. The XR4's are also fast rolling tyres but they are designed for loose and rocky conditions. I don't think the XR2's will be any good for the mud.

You have not said what terrain you are likely to be riding but if it was me, I would send the XR4’s back and order some of the excellent Bontrager Mud X’s for the winter mud riding. These can be picked up from JE James for £19.99 each.

Thanks Mate,

I was going to order the Mud X but after someone suggested either the Mud X or the XR4, i decided to get the XR4s, (wrong there then)

The terrain is a mixture of woods, singletrack, bridleways, abit of everything really.

But until i know my way around the trails around here, i will be on country roads aswell.

Thanks
  • geoff93
    geoff93 Posts: 190
    XR2s are not the best in mud, I have one on the rear at the moment with a Mud X on the front. I was running 2.1 XR2s on both and was finding it difficult to find grip. Swap them out! :)
    Trek Madone 3.5 (RS80s, Arione)
    Trek Madone 3.1 (Upgraded)
    Ribble TT Bike
    Trek Mamba (Garry Fisher Collection)
  • Shotsaway wrote:
    I’ve not used the tyres but the XR2’s are fast rolling tyres and are ideal for hardpack terrain. The XR4's are also fast rolling tyres but they are designed for loose and rocky conditions. I don't think the XR2's will be any good for the mud.

I don't agree with some of what you're saying as quite a few riders on this forum have found XR4's to perform brilliantly in the mud and they've said so too.

Though, I think it really depends what kind of riding you're doing. If its just cross country through muddy forests, Mud X's everytime. But if do a lot of riding at speed over rough singletrack, then go for the higher volume XR4's. Though Maxxis Advantage's also perform well in the mud and roll fast and are high volume in 2.25.
  • will8
    Shotsaway wrote:

I don't agree with some of what you're saying as quite a few riders on this forum have found XR4's to perform brilliantly in the mud and they've said so too.

Though, I think it really depends what kind of riding you're doing. If its just cross country through muddy forests, Mud X's everytime. But if do a lot of riding at speed over rough singletrack, then go for the higher volume XR4's. Though Maxxis Advantage's athatlso perform well in the mud and roll fast and are high volume in 2.25.

Thats why i order the XR4, i read they was a good all rounder, I wont be riding though the mud around here , unless i want to f**k up the gears.

I think i will swap the XR2 for the 4s when they get here.

Thanks for the input.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I am using 2.2" XR4's they are very good in the mud, Traction is as good as the Mud X with better lateral grip, a little more drag due to the extra width. When your not knee deep in mud they still perform extremely well, they are great for aggressive trail riding and seem to grip well on all surfaces. Also I haven't had a single pinch flat in them, which is unusual for me.
    Don't worry about the mud, it won't cause any damage to anything other than wearing your brake pads quickly. Get out and embrace the slime! You will be a better rider when things dry up.
    Might be worth keeping the XR2's for the summer.
  • will8
    Well i could nt be bother to order some mud x and send the xr4 back, So I will put the xr4 on at the weekend, they came today, they look like they will be ok. I will know on sunday.

Only problem now is i need new inner tubes as the xr2's are 2.1 and the xr4's are 2.2.
    Or will the 2.1 inners fix in 2.2 tires.
  • Actually the XR4 is quite a slow tyre in my experience but it has tons of grip in most conditions. It has essentially replaced the AC-X (all-condition - cross country), which was a fantastic tyre. The XR2 replaces the XDX (or Dry-X, the name is the giveaway). The XR3 replaces the Jones XR, which was in my opinion, one of the all-time greats of XC tyre design, could be used in anything from dusty hardpack to wet roots and greasy trails.
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • Must be me but I tried a pair of XR4's run tubeless and even down at 15psi on an orange 5 they pinged off roots, rocks and I span 180 degrees in the mud on them, will try them again when it dries out but in mixed wet conditions (mud, rocks and roots) they were pish
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I find them great in mud and wet conditions, give better grip than any other tyres I have tried.
  • geoff93
    geoff93 Posts: 190
    edited January 2011
    You don't need new inner tubes! they do expand... ;)
    Trek Madone 3.5 (RS80s, Arione)
    Trek Madone 3.1 (Upgraded)
    Ribble TT Bike
    Trek Mamba (Garry Fisher Collection)
  • will8
    Thanks guys, I stuck with the xr4s. Yes I find they do drag abit on the roads. But that not to much of a problem. Just have to work harder.

In the mud and wet they are great, no sliding about. Loved bombing down muddy hills yesterday, whilst in control and my pal was all over the place. It was funny.