2011 Tour of Murcia

idontneedthis
idontneedthis Posts: 47
edited February 2011 in Pro race
A little help needed here folks.

Does anyone know where I can find the Tour of Murcia Route. 8 of us are staying in Rojales/Torreveija and intend to incorporate training runs in with the Race.

Please help. Anyone wanting to tag along very welcome.

Comments

• Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    Hi, I am usually over in Torrevieja for training early in the year and timed it last year to watch a couple of stages of the Tour of Murcia. It's a great race to watch, I would recommend catching at least one stage start as the security isn't over the top like major races so you should get a chance to have a chat with some riders.

If heading out from Torre/Rojales, most of your rides will head round Le Pedrera lake out the back of San Miguel Salinas. Let me know if you need any route info.
  • Thanks Folks - Fat Head will be in touch regarding routes. My email is nialljoseph@hotmail.com if you wish to forward any advice as this is Our first time doing this training abroad....All help greatly appreciated.
  • Fat Head
    I will get in touch.

One piece of essential kit is the Michelin 'Zoom' map of the Costa Blanca area. This is a must buy which clearly shows the minor (and best cycling) roads are as well as the hills.
  • cswebbo
    cswebbo Posts: 220
    Hello,

Just got back from cycling in this area yesterday. Out again for the Murcia tour.
    I notice this years Vuelta Murcia is only 3 days, used to be 5.
    One stage usually starts in San Pedro de Pinatar, and the last one finishes in Murcia with a climb of either Cresta Del Gallo or Cabezo de la Plata.
    All are within 25 miles of Rojales.

www.vuelta-murcia.com
    This is the 'official' site, but it is often not updated until one week before start with exact route/time schedules etc. Both Contador and Sastre are currently down to ride this years edition.

A good local bike shop is Bicicosta in Almoradi (very near Rojales)
    www.bicicosta.com

Let me know if you want some suggested routes. You can do totally flat rides of 60 miles or a few mountains (39x23/25 types) quite easily from your base.
  • Thanks for advice and pointers. We are actually staying in Quesada which seems very handy for Tour of Murcia and good riding.

I would be delighted to have routes for 2 good flat rides to suit 3 hour rides and a mountain stage (the harder the better) - can you get up either of the stage mountains before or after the Tour - on the day? What time would you suggest riding early or later in the day or is the temperature oK at this time of Year?

Would you say bike hire or bring your own?

Im now really looking forward to this.

Ta
  • cswebbo
    There are some routes available on the map my ride site.
    Heres a good one, from last years vuelta, that is best done as two seperate rides of approx 60 miles.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/es/murci ... 8363266501

Just miss out the first bit from Murcia to Orihuela . The routes are then achievable. The two loops are fairly obvious, the bottom one is easier than the top loop as there is a very steep climb from Albatera to Hondon de los frailes (16% near top-39x23/25 recommended). Hope this makes some sense?

Not too sure where you can hire decent bikes from, best to take your own if possible.
    http://cyclogicalcostablanca.com/index.htm
    They do bike hire by the looks of things, but not for 'racing bikes'. Based in Quasada, i've never been to this shop so cannot say what it is like.

What 'level' of riding are you planning on doing, ave speed etc?
    What days are you out there?
    There are also two amateur races scheduled for Sat 5/ Sunday 7th March.
    These are at Guardamar and Almoradi and are approx 80km (usually 6-8 laps of a circuit). Website will be up and running soon. Last years is here and shows the circuits (recorridos).
    http://www.interclubvegabaja.com/
  • Fat Head
    cswebbo, are you the irish chap I met on the cabeza de la plata climb at last year's Vuelta Murcia??
  • We are a group of A2/A3/A4 racers of which some are accomplished Tour of the North riders (North of Ireland) and others are literally just starting to race for thefirst time. The average times would be ranging from comfortable 20+ to sub 2hr 50 mile races..

Most of us have been over Mamore Gap which is a Cat 1 climb in Donegal - after 85 mile. The gearing makes sense!

I think we will be taking our own bikes....

We are there from 28.2.11 to 4.3.11. Leaving early on Friday. I have checked the amateur races and a pity we are leaving on the Friday....we would have loved to have a go - great route too.

The link for the Vuelta is perfect for our base - I have tried finding links via mapmyride but couldnt see any- if had 2 more would be perfect - thanks a lot - maybe meet you over there.....
  • cswebbo
    Hello,
    Fathead- No i was not the Irish chap on Cabezo climb.I was on this climb for last years vuelta murcia, about half way up, as i wanted to get back to see them again near the finish in Murcia as well.

IDontneed this- I'll get in touch with you by email. I'm out there when you are (26th feb to 7 March) so maybe we could meet up for a couple of rides?
  • See you there - will be in contact - still waiting to hear if Murcia is down to 3 days starting on Friday 4.3.11. Anyone else interested let me know....
  • lucybears
    lucybears Posts: 366
    still waiting to hear if Murcia is down to 3 days starting on Friday 4.3.11.

google translating earlier post would have done, but here's one in english

Vuelta a Murcia trimming down from five days to three in 2011
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/6986/ ... -2011.aspx
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • LucyBears - thanks - I must go on a computer literacy course.....im woeful...

Speak to you soon CS - got the email about them routes - its ideal for us.
  • lucybears
    lucybears Posts: 366
    Le parcours :

Vendredi 4 mars : 1ère étape San Pedro del Pinatar - Alhama de Murcia

Samedi 5 mars : 2ème étape : Estrella de Levante - Sierra Espuna
    (par la montée de Collado Bermejo, rebaptisé col Marco Pantani, le haut lieu du Tour de Murcie)

Dimanche 6 mars : 3ème étape : Murcie - Murcie 15km contre la montre individuel
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • Hello
    I will be in Murcia training from March 2-13 and plan on watching Vuelta a Murica.
    I would like to tag along on some rides.
    Please email me back at wcjwire@aol.com
    Thanks
    Billy