Campag 11 speed users: Whats your wheel choice

geordiefella
geordiefella Posts: 302
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
After a little trouble recently having moved from Shimano 10 speed over to Campagnolo 11 speed, the rear freehub / cassette I fitted doesn't allow enough room for proper gear use with my Fulcrum Racing 5's.
No-one seems to know much about it except that some wheels (perhaps their factory dishing setting) means that they arn't spaced well for 11speed.
So to all 11 speed users, what wheels do you ride? Were they campag from new? Did you set up the 11sp yourself or was it shop made-up.
Thanks.
Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
Twitter @roadbikedave

Comments

• I use both sram & campag 11 speed setups. I use my fulcrum racing zeros on both - just switch the freehub
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Ive had my 11 speed Chorus running on some circa 2002 Centaur hubs (well before 11 sped was thought of!) and now have it running on some Campag Neutron wheels. No problems with either.

Set up was done by a shop for the Centaur but I just switch the cassette myself when I got the Neutrons.

I thought that the freehubs are 9, 10 or 11 speed compatible?
  • I use the following with no probs

Fulcrum 1's Bought as Shimano but changed freehub to Campag!
    Fulcrum 5's
    Campag Scirocco

Soon to be added will be Zipp 404 or Mavic Carbone SR's
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    I had some Racing Zeros which I changed the freehub myself to run Campag 11s, Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLRs on 11s and Mavic Aksium 11s - all with no problems at all. To the best of my knowlege, any Campag hub will run 9/10/11 speed.
  • campag neutron ultras with record 11 speed...works perfectly

didn't realise there was a potential problema s thinking of getting some handbuilt aero wheels as extras
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    seems funny that you're having problems with Fulcrum wheels and Campag seing as Campag own Fulcrum.
  • clx1
    clx1 Posts: 200
    I have Chorus 11 speed and run Fulcrum Racing 3s and a set of Zipp 303s, never had any problem with either set of wheels.
  • clx1
    I have Chorus 11 speed and run Fulcrum Racing 3s and a set of Zipp 303s, never had any problem with either set of wheels.
  • clx1
  • Chrissz
    ..................or all six sets!!! :lol:
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    sr11 with cosmic slr's
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • well people. read a bit more about it. I have racing 5's. 2009 models maybe. have the chance of some racing 5's which are 2010 models and might take the 11 speed cassette.
    people with wheels, what age are they please?
    sent an email to the campag dealer, not heard back yet. at least mavic wheels have a known fault and known solution. fulcrum do not. balls. maybe 2010 wheels and onwards will be ok though.
    I'll wait the week to see if fulcrum reply before buying the 3's to see if the cassette will leave me enough lockring clearance to get the chain onto the bottom sprocket.
    thanks people. any further wisdom let me know.
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • Chrissz
    My Mavic SLRs actuallycame with a spacer to fit before the cassette if needed to prevent the mech from hitting the spokes - I haven't used it and there's plenty of room for an SR11 cassette - same for the Aksiums - both are 2010 models!
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    What's the actual problem? How does it not fit?
  • I am sure the problem is not the hub - some after market hubs from far east had a compatibility problem due to low tolerances but no way Fulcrum (campagnolo owned) would have the same problem and i have not heardof anyone having the same problem. I suspect problem is elsewhere so best to take your bike in to a good mechanic or LBS who has plenty of campagnolo 11 speed experience - if in London try condors. Here is a few possible problems;

1 - The spacers on the cassette have been mis-placed as spacers in campy cassette do not have the same size like shimano so very important to put the right spacer between each cog
    2 - The RD gear tension has not been adjusted properly, 11 speed is trickier than 10 speed to set up and 10 speed is harder than shimano to setup.
    3 - The RD hanger is bent/damaged - maybe in transport ot crash or through use.
  • 2alexcoo
    2alexcoo Posts: 251
    I have some 2006 Fulcrum 5s, which work fine with 11 speed. Same goes for the handbuilt wheels I have with 1999 (officially 9 speed) Campag Daytona hubs.

If you download the 2009 catalogue from the Fulcrum site it clearly states that the Racing 5s from that year are 9/10/11 speed compatible. Are you sure you've replaced the freehub body with the correct version?
    Alex
  • I use Campy Neutrons on both my 11 and 10 speed bikes, but (FWIW) in the real world I'd rather have Veloce than Athena any day - I see absolutely no advantage to 11 speed and it needs tweaking more often than 10. I might 'trade down' the 11 speed.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.
  • People. Thanks for your replies. There's still not enough room for the chain to drop into the smallest cog at the rear. The wheel has been to fulcrum and they say there is nothing wrong, the supersix frame is pristine. It's a bb30 which has adapter cups.
    Unbelievably, the uk cannondale distributor for the uk, cycling sports group told my LBS that Dale don't work w/ campag. I had to point out that they have a 2011 team campag model for sale for 7k!
    It seems like a lost cause really. I could do with a campag 11 user from the NE to see their bike working.
    I've got into the Fred whitton but at the moment I'm gonna be on my kids skateboard instead
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Might be an idea to find a local bike club and ask them - surprised your lbs isn't able to sort it out though.

Peter
  • Chirg
    Chirg Posts: 141
    Can you post a picture of the issue Geordiefella?