Associating patterns and colours with days, weeks, etc...

15peter20
15peter20 Posts: 293
edited January 2011 in The bottom bracket
I feel the sudden need to share some ways in which I visualise the calendar and days of week. I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this. For some reason, the yearly calendar is always in my head like below - August is much longer for some reason and September goes around the corner. Then there is a gap where December and Jan don't meet! :

JULY, JUNE, MAY, APRIL, MARCH, FEBRUARY, JANUARY
A

U

G

U

S

T

S
E
PTEMBER, OCTOBER, NOVEMBER, DECEMBER

Comments

• Is this another example of a cyclist being on drugs? :wink::lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • What's more, the days of the week are coloured like so:

MONDAY TUESDAY WEDNESDAY THURSDAY FRIDAY SATURDAY SUNDAY

(Saturday is white so doesn't show up)
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Synaesthesia.

I've got it, too. It is a gift.

More here:

http://www.uksynaesthesia.com/

By the way, your colours are wrong! Saturday is obviously maroon. :wink:

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    WTF?
  • 15peter20 wrote:
    What's more, the days of the week are coloured like so:

MONDAY TUESDAY WEDNESDAY THURSDAY FRIDAY SATURDAY SUNDAY

(Saturday is white so doesn't show up)

I don't have synaesthesia, but a little part of me understands the coloured days of the week thing.

15peter20, your visualisation of the calendar left me completely cold and initially put me into 'WTF' mode along with Nuggs! However, during my more experimental days (pre-cycling), I remember one rather strong experience when I saw sounds as colours. Perhaps synaesthesia can be triggered with the right kind of stimulant!!!

Do you have any more visualisations to offer us from the world of cycling? Perhaps certain bike brands also have a colour associated with them?
    Simon G
  • Simon G wrote:
    I don't have synaesthesia, but a little part of me understands the coloured days of the week thing.

15peter20, your visualisation of the calendar left me completely cold and initially put me into 'WTF' mode along with Nuggs! However, during my more experimental days (pre-cycling), I remember one rather strong experience when I saw sounds as colours. Perhaps synaesthesia can be triggered with the right kind of stimulant!!!

Do you have any more visualisations to offer us from the world of cycling? Perhaps certain bike brands also have a colour associated with them?

I'm not sure I have full blown Synaesthesia, but the calendar makes perfect sense to me. You go in an clockwise direction naturally and have to make the leap from Dec 31 to Jan 1 !! I guess August always seemed long as a child as it coincides with summer holidays. As for why September goes around a corner - god knows!

I don't have any cycling related ones to share - I sense these are all concepts that were formed as a very young child (and have nothing to do with LSD!)
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I didn't know the Rainman was a cyclist.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Thursday has always been the most minxy day of the week (Tuesday is her nicer sister), and Wednesday is somewhat solid and frumpy (sorry Wednesday, no offence meant).
  • I don't see pictures/colours in my head at all, I only found out 5 years or so ago that when people talked about visualising things in their heads they actually meant it.

I find this whole thing fascinating, how does it work? is it like it being on a screen or hanging in mid air or what?
  • http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8248589.stm

I just realised that the 1930's have always been green for me. How odd.
  • i associate numbers with colours, but haven't really ever linked colours to days and months
    It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I have just realised that 2011 is the same colour as my Summer bike! :D

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)