Companion(s) needed for Northwales Biking holiday! (7-10days

charitydraw
charitydraw Posts: 61
edited January 2011 in MTB rides
As mentioned above, i will be coming from abroad and will be coming alone.

That said, its quite obvious what the risks are of biking alone brings.

Holiday will be during the september 2011 period.
Please read below and EVEN IF YOUR INTERESTED IN 1 - 2 RIDES, DO LET ME KNOW!

Cost : Will be shared equally between us.

Places planned to visit :

1) Ruthin CRC marathon – 50km
2) Coed Llanndegla – 21km
3) Betws – y- coed mtb :
a) Marin trail : 25km
b) Penmachno Trail (Both loops) : 28km

4) Snowdon Up llanberis : 10km and down snowdown ranger
5) Coed-Y-brenin
A) The beast : 38km
B) TARW / Free and easy : 20.2km

Total : 200KM +- 30

As seen, the holiday is mainly XC orientated with lots and lots of pedalling

Anyone who is interested with such a ride, please do contact me via PM / Posting here.

The ride will be spread across 10 days ( with probably 6-7 riding days)

Hotels planned by myself are all budget, with the cheapest being 9-12pound per night (YHA) and the most expencive being about 35-40pound, most having cycle storage.

Approximate budget should be about 600pounds.

Transportation will be done by public transport unless one of you have a car.

P.S. Anyone knows of a guide for such areas? ( If someone is up, i wouldn't want a guide, but if im alone then ill require a trail guide)

If in the LEAST bit interested, please contact me, even if your interested in simply joining me for a ride or two.

Comments

• I'm interested depending on what my commitments are around the time (run my own buisness so pretty flexible) I would certainly join you for at least a few days of your expedition.

where you coming over from??
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • Hey john! Firstly happy new year

Im coming over from SINGAPORE, which is about a hell far away.

Do add me / email me at neverquit4life@hotmail.com

Currently, im revising if i should alter the trip such that i remove the ruthin CRC and coed Llanndegla from the trip as i feel that coed Llanndegla actually only has a bout ONE trail which probably might be a little boring.

Any of you tried the ruthin crc marathon? Was wondering if its worth the trouble ( the trouble being me having to cycle from ruthin to RHYL rail station)

Currently, theres another guy from the forum whose interested in joining the betws section which is awesome, the more the merrier! :D
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970

4) Snowdon Up llanberis : 10km and down snowdown ranger

Snowden has a voluntary cycle agreement from the 1st May to 30th September not to ride the bridleways from Llanberis until after 17:00 hrs and then its gone dark not long after.
  • Hey thanks for the update

but from some research i've done

Isn't the ban, BEFORE 10am and AFTER 5PM?

So therefore i can start at 7am and be down before 10am? yes?
  • bump, anybody?

apparently the two that had interest are now MIA ):
  • apparently now ive found a guide
    anybody who is interested please let me know, we could share the cost of the guide etc.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi Charitydraw

These are my thoughts -
    Ruthin CRC marathon – I've not done this event but there will be 100's of riders doing it so you will not be alone.
    2) Coed Llandegla - there have been improvements on the trails and additions, so if you haven't ridden it recently you might like to try it again - it would be an easy ride compared to the others you have planned.
    3) Betws – y- coed
    a) Marin trail - not done this one yet
    b) Penmachno Trail (Both loops) - way marked but it does go out into the wild, definately have someone with you when you do this.
    4) Snowdon Up llanberis : 10km and down snowdown ranger - on my wish list but would be slow on the uphill and technical downhill. Ban is between 10am and 5pm so yes you could go up at 7am and be down for 10am if you're that fast!
    5) Coed-Y-brenin - I've ridden this on my own and was fine, just don't take any risks is my advice.
    a) The beast : 38km - as above
    b) TARW / Free and easy - boring!

You could post on STW (Singletrackworld) forum - I think you are more likely to find someone to ride or link up with on that forum than this one.

You shouldn't have the need for a guide and certainly not pay for one. Firstly, there are plenty of people out there who could ride with you with careful planning and secondly all the rides you have planned are waymarked! If I was a guide showing you around I would be embarrassed to take dosh of you - that is being cheeky.
  • Hi Charitydraw

These are my thoughts -
    Ruthin CRC marathon – I've not done this event but there will be 100's of riders doing it so you will not be alone.
    2) Coed Llandegla - there have been improvements on the trails and additions, so if you haven't ridden it recently you might like to try it again - it would be an easy ride compared to the others you have planned.
    3) Betws – y- coed
    a) Marin trail - not done this one yet
    b) Penmachno Trail (Both loops) - way marked but it does go out into the wild, definitely have someone with you when you do this.
    4) Snowdon Up llanberis : 10km and down snowdown ranger - on my wish list but would be slow on the uphill and technical downhill. Ban is between 10am and 5pm so yes you could go up at 7am and be down for 10am if you're that fast!
    5) Coed-Y-brenin - I've ridden this on my own and was fine, just don't take any risks is my advice.
    a) The beast : 38km - as above
    b) TARW / Free and easy - boring!

You could post on STW (Singletrackworld) forum - I think you are more likely to find someone to ride or link up with on that forum than this one.

You shouldn't have the need for a guide and certainly not pay for one. Firstly, there are plenty of people out there who could ride with you with careful planning and secondly all the rides you have planned are waymarked! If I was a guide showing you around I would be embarrassed to take dosh of you - that is being cheeky.

Hey mate thanks for the advice.
    Well actually, my main concern is not finding my way around. but instead, being able to ride with a sense of security that i ain't going to die in this foreign island if i crash into a huge cliff or something.

Truth to be told, initially i was NOT intending on getting a guide. However having 2 crashes in the past month that required stitching while i was riding alone scared the hell outta me and gave me a shocker from God that damn, this was when im near my home land. Imagine the panic that i would have if im 1000km away from home, with nobody i know around me and me having little knowledge of the place itself.

I do have a guide at a pretty reasonable rate, at about 60p per day including transport which i suppose is worth it.
    I figured my life is worth more then money and i won't want to take any risks on my life until i really know the trails ( and i come back for a 2nd time ;) )

Also, it's a headache to count on getting people on the forum to come for a ride as their not obligated to help and it ain't cool betting my 1K air ticket on people to be there to guide me eh .. although it would really save my wallet a bunch but.. ah. Not worth it man.

Currently my plans are :

1) Ride marin and penmacho together
    2) ride up llanberis and down snowdon ranger, ride some special trails
    3) some special trails and linked up riding etc. around snowdon
    4) ride the peak district!

However i do plan on doing the peak district alone / with locals as it'll be on a weekend ;) will be doing the other trails on a weekday so i have to trails all to myself and of course the guide.

Cheers for the advice mate, wish it was that easy to get some people to join me ):