FAO Woking/Knaphill/Brookwood Basingstoke Canal Users

dombat
dombat Posts: 96
edited January 2011 in Commuting general
FAO Woking Knaphill Brookwood Frimley Deepcut Basingstoke Canal users

Don't know whether you're aware or not, but the very useful pedestrian/cycle crossing outside the Total petrol station in Brookwood/Knaphill has been earmarked to be removed (as it causes a bit of a nuisance to motorists). Sadly, it is of huge benefit to pedestrians and cyclists, but that doesn't seem to matter :-(

It was built with Cycle Town money and the removal cost will be be in the thousands, which could be better spent elsewhere.

If you're a local resident and user of the canal, please sign our very short petition to try and keep the island. Please send links to cyclists in this area as we need all the help we can get.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/fishwick-island/

Comments

• thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    Apparently they are removing the signs too? I loled at this:

"The decision on the signs at Brookwood was to replace three of the more obtrusive, which a local resident objected to being able to see from her garden on the far side of the canal bank, with markings on the ground."

Obviously constant motor vehicle traffic is not a problem, but signs are the work of the devil.

I haven't come along here many times at all, and not in quite some months, but I've always found the signs at the various road crossings of the canal to be rather confusing, and removing signs seems misguided.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    thelawnet wrote:

"The decision on the signs at Brookwood was to replace three of the more obtrusive, which a local resident objected to being able to see from her garden on the far side of the canal bank, with markings on the ground."

Obviously constant motor vehicle traffic is not a problem, but signs are the work of the devil.

I haven't come along here many times at all, and not in quite some months, but I've always found the signs at the various road crossings of the canal to be rather confusing, and removing signs seems misguided.

would it not reduce the confusion to reduce them or remove them?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    spen666 wrote:
    thelawnet wrote:

would it not reduce the confusion to reduce them or remove them?

Well not really no. The issue is there are paths on both sides of the canal, usually on the opposite side from the one you've just been on (having crossed the road). Coming from Brookwood towards Woking, you ride along the left bank, come out onto the road, and then the onward path is signposted in the opposite direction (back the way you came, but on the opposite side) on the right bank (the reason being that there is an underpass under the road, and while there is a path on the opposite side of the road, the kerb is not dropped to facilitate access to it).
  • dombat
    It's strange how "a person complains" about a sign and then they have to be changed/removed/whatever! Woking has got all political about cycling recently, everyone's moaning about lack of consultation blah blah blah. I wasn't consulted about the amount of tar used for roads or their width but didn't make much difference. Why wasn't I consulted boo hoo (tears rolling down cheeks, rattle thrown out of pram) :-)

Its for this politicisation that we need all Woking cyclists to have their voice heard above the vroom vroom of cars and the twitching curtains of the nimbies.
  • dombat
    The local paper ran a story about this yesterday (Thursday). Still need more signatures ...

• dombat
    I went to the island this morning (sat 15th Jan) with a friend and in two hours (9-11am) we collected over 60 signatures between us. It was cold, windy, overcast so a pretty good turn out. Only one lady went a bit mental and aggressive, the usual "get out of my way", "lycra louts" and "ringing your bell is the same as shouting get outta my way". I think she's read too many copies of the Daily Mail. Overall a very good response.

If anyone wants to still sign the petition, it will be closing fairly soon. Every signature counts!