castelli clothing

eyebee
eyebee Posts: 257
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
I've never owned any Castelli clothing so was wondering if anyone rated it. Quite like the look of the long sleeve jerseys and jackets,but then at their price range would have to consider assos or lecol,(and others). I have read a few magazine reviews in their favour but was wondering if they're overpriced or worth the extra.

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Totally awesome in every expect and this is the time of year to grab a bargain.

The kiss padding in the bib shorts is heaven on those long rides.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Got a few bits of castelli. Good kit go one size up on tops and its cut tight and for itailans. My bibs tights have the kiss pad and its not bad but only as good as my DHB shots, not upto my assos standard. However the pad in the body paint bibs is another level, would go a far to say its a step above my assos bibs.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,523
    the medium/high end ranges are excellent, i've got assos too, but much prefer castelli. both for styling and for function, the rosso corsa range is certainly assos-like in price/quality

i've got several bits of castelli, sticking to jackets/long sleeves...

for when it's really cold my castelli 'quantum radiation' jacket is *much* better than the assos fugu with it's absurd pocket layout (the fugu is probably the worst purchase i've made in clothing! still kicking myself for not returning it before it was too late), i think the equivalent current jacket is called 'radiation 1-2-3'

for a lightweight shell the leggero is excellent and only takes up part of a pocket, above 4-5c i tend to layer the leggero with a prendas long sleeve and castelli nano long sleeve base, but i'm tempted to splash out on a castelli long sleeve too

the castelli cut is generally 'race', i flnd their sizing guides accurate and more consistent than assos across the range

btw, for when it warms up a bit, body paint bib shorts: best. shorts. ever.
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Beautiful clothing that's different from Assos. If you go www.pezcycling.com he reviews the Nanoflex range.
    M.Rushton
  • Good but not as good as Assos. As good in the cold but as far as pocket space and longevity go, it can't match Assos or even Rapha.
  • Best cycling company around imo. I love all my Castelli stuff and have become a brand tart.

Body Paint or Free Aero bibs are the best things ever... 8)
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The top end stuff is sublime.
  • paggnr
    paggnr Posts: 101
    love the free areo bibs
    Cheers
    Pagey
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx
  • I picked up some Presto bibs last year for about £80, fantastic shorts, can see why I would spend more TBH.
  • rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    I really rate it as well. Got a few Assos bits and bobs and like the Castelli stuff virtually as much. Looks great and the cut is good for me. Sizing, as mentioned, needs to be up a size from Assos for me.
  • spezial
    spezial Posts: 142
    Got some thermal 3/4 bibs with a kiss pad, which are a great cut and very warm & comfortable, although I would say the pad isn't as good as my Assos or Gore shorts, so probably best to go with the top of the range stuff for a better "contact point".

Also, there's a lot of last season's Cervelo TT kit gong cheap in a lot of places, which is a often a lot less than the non-team direct equivalent.
    "what's it pertaining?"
  • eyebee
    eyebee Posts: 257
    Thanks for all the feedback. I Will definately be treating myself to a long sleeve jersey for starters .Bib shorts to follow......
  • sungod
    pbk is doing some extra discount on castelli at the moment, plus you can use the code BONUS10 for 10% extra discount

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?c ... i%2520Sale

always best to cross check prices on google, but i just picked up a pair of tights and pbk was by far the cheapest
  • drummer
    drummer Posts: 246
    I've got some Castelli gear.

I've found it to be excellent kit!
    chris
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Our club gear is Castelli and it's pretty good. Be careful on sizing, typical Italian so buy a bit bigger than normal.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Nearly all my gear is Castelli and I find it all excellent expect mitts and gloves.

All the mitts and gloves I have had the stitching has failed.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Castelli - my favourite brand - OK maybe not as good as Assos, but not Assos price. represents a better option in VFM stakes for me
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    all4cycling.com from Italy - cheaper that PBK after their discounts. IME Castelli's top-end stuff lasts better than Assos because they use better quality materials like Gore Windstopper not cheaper stuff where the colour runs
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sungod
    Monty Dog wrote:
    all4cycling.com from Italy - cheaper that PBK after their discounts. IME Castelli's top-end stuff lasts better than Assos because they use better quality materials like Gore Windstopper not cheaper stuff where the colour runs

well i only checked one of items i mentioned above, but pbk's price for the radiation 1-2-3 is about 237 quid after the bonus10 code, even if you got interbank rate (1.1666 at the time i looked) that's still over 20 euros cheaper than all4cycling's 299 euro

in practice with the bank's mark up and exchange fee it'd make all4cycling even more expensive on this item

if you use all4cycling's sterling rate for the item it's 254 quid, 17 more than pbk (with the bonus10 code)

i'm sure there must be items that are cheaper, but like i said, pays to check before buying
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    like it for fit and styling, and have a few bits including the cracking Mannaggia winter jacket.

Everything I've had seems god quality but fit is sometimes a bit varying!
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...