Setting off a speed camera on your bike.

2»

Comments

• Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    Dodger747 wrote:
    Lancslad wrote:
    Even if you set the speed camera off theres no way of getting the piccy without grassing yourself up. I know where theres one at the bottom of a very steep hill thats a 30mph zone and you (with good skills) could easily get upwards of 50+

Bottom of Parbold Hill? 8)

Yeah baby! :twisted:
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    My cousin got done for speeding down the main street in Banff, Canada, a few years ago. I never have but around here there are lots of cameras attached to roadside signs which flash your speed up as you pass. So far I've only had smiley faces, indicating 30km/h or less, so I'll have to work on that. :D
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • 1_reaper
    1_reaper Posts: 322
    fuelex wrote:
    Been trying to set the 30mph one off on the hill into Lincoln for some time with no joy.
    I did overtake a Porsche Boxter who had slowed down for it, was quite pleased with myself :D

Is that the one at the bottom of cross o cliffe ? Tried many a time and pissed car drivers off :D
  • fuelex
    fuelex Posts: 165
    Yep, hit it about 45 on a few occasions but no flash :(
    Bloody slow car drivers get in your way.
  • 1_reaper
    1_reaper Posts: 322
    fuelex wrote:

In the summer i was hitting around that speed with some bint driving a convertible closing in on me to force me to the kerb :shock: Don't think see had seen a bike at that speed before. Took a few choice words to catch her attention and had a few at the lights at the bottom of the hill :twisted:
  • Theres a camera near me at Rockingham Hill on the A6003 just outside Corby that ive gone past several times at 40-43 mph as its on a 15% slope, but the camera type is a Truvelo which use two cables buried in the road to measure speed so i doubt a bike and rider would be heavy enough to set it off.
  • considering everyone is after the good old flash from a camera, just go out one summers evening, and go wild?

even get the council involved, some sponsors and bingo, got ya self a nice event ;)

ive only set one off once too, not many hills in Norfolk tbh :(
    2011 NS Core 2. Boing boing.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Cyclists can't set off speed cameras as they are too small and aren't targeted by them so any cyclist who says they have is telling lies.
    Of course they can. Motorcyclists set them off and they occupy no bigger area than a cyclist.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    RichardSwt wrote:
    Trouble is although the speed limit might be 30mph, there's also a 10% alowance for error, so you'll have to go at least 33mph before it's even illegal.

But even then the police arn't going to want to waste their film with people going only 33mph.

I doubt most speed cameras in a 30mph limit will be programed to 'go off' before at least 40mph, if not more.

ACPO (Association of chief police officers) guidlines are: speed limit, add 10% + 2 mph if you break that your gonna get a ticket (if they can trace you!!)

Yes, but often they don't set the cameras that close to the limit. I know for example that the cameras at the top of the A3 near Roehampton won't go off until 70mph, even though it's a 50mph limit. I suppose the reasoning is they don't want to waste their film on minor offences.

With the new digital film-less cameras this won't be a issue so I suppose they'll set cameras closer to the real limit.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    fuelex wrote:

I'm not surprised you didn't see him,i've heard he can hit 50+ when a promise is involved.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    pk64 wrote:
    I went through one of the ones that flashes up with the speed once and it said 37 (with a :( face), but my computer said 17....
    Should have gone to Specsavers :lol:
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Richmond Park can be a bit interesting as they have a 20mph limit. There are a few places where you can really get up some speed, sometimes approaching 20mph (in case plod is reading :lol: ) which can be much quicker than the cars. You need to keep your eyes peeled as radar operators are quite clever in picking their hides! I came very close to getting into quite a bit of conversation earlier in 2010...

Peter
  • Being in Cardiff, Is it really necessary to have a 20mph speed limit in Richmond park?
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Err, the Richmond Park I referred to is a royal park in south London.

Peter