Just fitted some effing mudguards..

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited December 2010 in The bottom bracket
Holy trousers!

Back in October I bought some SKS chromoplastic mudguards and had them delivered to the UK. I picked them up this week and thought today would be a good day to fit them, after all, I had an hour spare....

It took 3 bloody hours! This was mainly due to the fact that some of the fitting nuts and bolts supplied with the mudguards did not fit my bike (a Specialized Tricross). This resulted in me spending ages trying to find suitable nuts and bolts from my DIY box, some of which were extras left over from Ikea furniture! So my bike is now part cycle, part shelf unit...

I've made sure that the fixings are tight and that there are no bits poking out in dangerous places, but you'd have thought that these things would be universal, wouldn't you?

Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The forkcrown bolt caused me problems when it came to fitting the bracket for my roadracers and the LBS sadi the same but the bolt I'm using is a standard M5 bolt just longer than normal.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Good to see it's not just me.
    I had problems with the fork crown bolt as well - I had to fit the bracket in front of the forks rather than behind. I had to wedge the nut against the forks with a screwdriver while I tightened the bolt with an allen key. The back was worse; none of the fittings fitted! I had to use the bolt already in the seatpost bracket to secure the mudguard there, an Ikea bolt further up and also to attach the stays! And the forecast is for sodding snow tomorrow, so i might not even be able to get out. Bloody winter!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    I got shop I bought the tricross from to fit mudguards. No help to you but win for me. Some jobs just arent worth doing yourself unless you like punishing yourself. Anyway at least you got there in the end :lol:
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)