dragon ride who is signing up?

markyone
markyone Posts: 1,119
Hi all signed up today 200km :D rode this last year and quite often go over to wales and do those hills :D as only live across the water.
Who else is going? different route from last year but should still be a challenge.
Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
Pinarello F8 with sram etap

Comments

• BigDarbs
    BigDarbs Posts: 132
    If anyone hasn't signed up yet its too late, its all sold out in a matter of hours!
  • Entries still open according to the website :?
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • All long distance entries are gone, only the 40k ride left and hospitality packages. Amazing sold out in less than 24 hours.
    TL
  • Ahhhh right :)
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • markyone
    BigDarbs wrote:
    If anyone hasn't signed up yet its too late, its all sold out in a matter of hours!
    Wow that was quick,i was going to leave it until weekend but my mate said you better do it today 29th :D
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Yeap I'm in, again, great prep for my European challenge 3 weeks later :D

Sold out already wow :shock:
  • slog
    slog Posts: 67
    I'm in. Not sure whether signing up for the full shabonty was such a splendid idea as this is my first ride over 60 miles, but what the hell, it's good to bet big :D
  • markyone
    slog wrote:
    I'm in. Not sure whether signing up for the full shabonty was such a splendid idea as this is my first ride over 60 miles, but what the hell, it's good to bet big :D
    hi dont know where you live but you may want to get over there and ride some of those hills.
    Lots of training will help and get some miles in.
  • G-Wiz
    G-Wiz Posts: 261
    I'm in. Just doing the 120km

Can anyone recommend some cheap accommodation for the night before?
  • G-Wiz wrote:

Pencoed is reasonably cheap. Try the Premier Inn (next to the start basically), the Maerdy Hotel (a very short ride), or the Travelodge.

St Mary's Hill Golf Course is also very very close but a tad more expensive.

Book now. They will all sell out.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    I'm in. First ride in Wales, should be a good 'un.
  • 8 of us in total with 6 doing the 120 not sure about the other 2. Staying at a travel lodge type place just off the m4 at Cardiff so just a short quick drive over. Got the rooms for 19-25 quid each. Bargain!

One thing though why is the entry form so bloody big?
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    If an individual enters the 45 km ride and then decides to do the longer ride (and aren't
    bothered about being acredited with an official time,) what's to stop them? I mean, they
    could add a loop "in between" the beginning and end of the short ride. :wink:
  • "a short drive over wont happen" - Fungus The Muffin Man - ha! There is no such thing with the Dragon Ride... Unless you leave at 5am! If its that close you are better off treating that like a warm up ride!

Luckily decided not to do it again this year. Would be 4th/5th year in a row! Time for something different :D

Good luck all - its a cracker and good prep for 'one' Col of the La Marmotte!!
    “Look where you want to go. Not where you are going”
  • De Sisti wrote:
    If an individual enters the 45 km ride and then decides to do the longer ride (and aren't
    bothered about being acredited with an official time,) what's to stop them? I mean, they
    could add a loop "in between" the beginning and end of the short ride. :wink:

Physically nothing, except that the background of your rider number is a different colour, so you'll be easy to pick out on the longer routes and in the photos, so the organisers will know you've cheated.Corto riders start at the back of the field. and finish from a different direction.

Incidentally most of the accommodation local to the start has been booked for months, Cardiff is the best bet, but be quick as Wales are playing rugby the day before and there is usually a concert on the Saturday night.

It's my fouth time, looking forward to the new route and hoping the weather is good.
    TL
  • Wales v Barbarians 5th June 2011

I wouldn't even bother with Cardiff - you'll be ripped off. Look furter west, Bridgend, Portcawl, Port Talbot, Neath Swansea. Or some B&B's further up the valleys - probably on the course in fact.
  • parajba
    parajba Posts: 95
    Anybody staying at the Travelodge in Pencoed? Both my friend and I booked a single room each. It's very near the start (2.3km).
    Not a massive fun of the Travelodge but it's been refurbished recently.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    G-Wiz wrote:

There are a few Travelodges around locally and I've stayed in one about 7 miles from the start before. Everywhere gets booked up really quick so you should book your room now. I think there's one about 1/2 a mile from the start too.
  • Spatulala
    Spatulala Posts: 291
    Last year we stayed in the Travelodge at Bridgend. It's not too far from the start, and has a comedy Italian restaurant in the town for a pasta feed the night before
  • parajba
    Spatulala wrote:
    Last year we stayed in the Travelodge at Bridgend. It's not too far from the start, and has a comedy Italian restaurant in the town for a pasta feed the night before

That's where I'll stay. I booked a family room, I need a large bed. Apparently they recently refurbished (according to their website). It's 2.3km from the start. At least I can ride to the start line and avoid the massive queue of cars. From my experience it doesn't matter what time you leave (by car), there will be a traffic jam anyway...
  • Staying in the Maerdy Hotel in Pencoed, first Dragon Ride so hope to get around the 200k course, is it just me or is the course confusing? I guess no one has a GPX file fo rthe new course?
  • sampras38
    Staying in the Maerdy Hotel in Pencoed, first Dragon Ride so hope to get around the 200k course, is it just me or is the course confusing? I guess no one has a GPX file fo rthe new course?

It's pretty easy to follow so you really won't need a file. I used one a couple of years ago and ended up switching it off in the end. Over 3000 riders going in the same direction usually gives it away...;-)
  • Yeah, I guess that's true, but I meant just following the route on google maps is complicated, it kind of goes around in concentric circles, maybe it's the red wine again, must drink less and train more, I blame father christmas for my current plight....
  • sampras38
    Yeah, I guess that's true, but I meant just following the route on google maps is complicated, it kind of goes around in concentric circles, maybe it's the red wine again, must drink less and train more, I blame father christmas for my current plight....
    :lol:
  • If anyone knows somebody thaty has signed up for the Dragon ride and now cant make it, I would really appreciate a pm as I missed out on original entry.Cheers all
  • Yemble
    Yemble Posts: 28
    Or if you have two spare tickets, a couple of friends of mine are in need and would happily buy them. Drop me a note any time.
  • markyone
    I might have to miss out as i could be going to the alps :D, and also a friend. So there could be 2 available will keep you posted.
  • markyone
    I might have to miss out as i could be going to the alps :D, and also a friend. So there could be 2 available will keep you posted.
  • Anyone looking for a 100 mile or 100k training ride two weeks before the big one check out the Wheel Heroes in Stratford upon Avon, fully supported, timed event for £20. For details go to http://www.wheelheroes.org.uk all funds towards buying specially adapted trikes and bikes for kids fighting cancer.
  • parajba
    markyone wrote:

Hi Markyone,

That is fab news, I sent you a PM last night, I'm very much interested!

Thanks,
    Manny