Enter The Dragon.....

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Entered the Wiggle Dragon Ride last night and the confirmation email came from the same person who organised the Hever Castle Triathlon, possibly the single worst organised and administered event I've ever had the misfortune to attend.

This does not bode well; please tell me I'm wrong....
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Did it 2007 and I enjoyed it. However, I'm told the queue for the car park has recently been a nightmare on the Sunday morning. So, if you can, stay within riding distance of the start line.

Am sure a few people on here can provide more info on that.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Start line was an absolute shambles last year. They tried to filter several thousand entrants plus bikes through a gap only big enough for one person to pass through at a time. With predictable results.

Feedstops were a bit of a bunfight/not well enough stocked as well, but the organisers did hold their hands up on that one.

Think they've changed the route this year, so can't comment on that.

It was good overall, but I'm probably not going to bother this year.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Not doing it this year, last year even though I got there early I still queued for ages to start, the route is awesome and the food stops very good but frankly just to much hard work to get there and back.

2011 will be more alpine riding for me, defo France again and perhaps Italy too oh and the Netherlands :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Victim of it's own success! Such a shame as it's one of the bigger sportives that I'd love to have a crack at after having such a great time on the Mag this year :-)

Still I may get my cycling freak on in Wales as the wife is looking into the bunkhouse option for a shared holiday with some friends, finding affordable places to stay that can accommodate my family isn't easy :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I saw the title and thought my ex had joined the forum
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    I've entered it again this year and this'll be my 3rd...all on the long route. Using it as training for the Alps a week later.

As previously said, it has been a victim of it's own success to some extent, and last year there were a few cock-ups with a lack of drink at the feed stops (they ordered satchets from SIS instead of powder that usually went into the drums. Some riders were then grapping handfuls of the satchets and they started to run out. That was my understanding anyway..

I never relied on event food or drink so it didn't bother me, but loads of people were moaning about it. And the start was a bit of a fiasco (as stated above), but overall it's a fantastic event, usually well run with over 3000 riders and some of the views are spectacular.

I would recommend booking into a hotel/travel lodge the night before, and try and get somewhere close to the start line as the traffic can build up once you get a mile or so away from the carpark.

This year they have altered the route slightly with more along the coastline which should give a nice breeze. Oh, and every year I've done it the weather has been great.