British Cycling Membership Promotional Code

haggisinlondon
haggisinlondon Posts: 171
edited February 2011 in Amateur race
My racing licence is up for renewal in January. When I was at the Cycle show earlier this year British Cycling had a stand and were offering discounted membership but as I did not need to renewal then they gave me a promotional code to use for when i renew.

I put it somewhere safe but.... I cannot find it. I am sure it was a generic code. Can anyone send it to me?

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Would be interested to know if the cose was for a discount on the membership - or racing licence (or both).

I'd be surprised if they discount the licence.

If you get a code - can you PM it to me also? :oops:
  • Hi PF, will do, busy scouring my piles of junk everywhere as I know I have it somewhere. Your right the discount is most probably only the membership but every penny saved can be spent on new cycling gear.

Will PM if I ever find it.
  • skyride2 should work
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    That worked great, thanks a lot.
  • yeah excellent, thanks for that.
  • Pokerface
    edited December 2010
    I used the code 8)
  • PF - now you mention it that did it to me as well. I saw the 50% off and was reaching for the credit card and then it skipped straight through to the complete page.

Did you get an email confirmation either.
  • Pokerface
    edited December 2010
    Edited :).
  • Just checked my membership page and it does say my membership now runs through to Dec 2011! Cracking festive gift from British Cycling.
  • Pokerface
    Can someone now delete this thread please so that they don't figure it out? :oops:
  • jonmack
    Mine did it too, but I edited it out of my post because I didn't want people to see!
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Thanks Rodrego Hernandez!! :D
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Yeah, nice one Rodrego, just got my first ever race license half price - lovely old job!
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Excellent, congratulations to everyone for conning money out of the body that looks after cyclists in the UK.
  • It's a discount code for anyone to use so don't get upset.

If you want to see who cons money out of the governing body I suggest you look inside it rather than on here.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    What upsets me is I renewed mine in November ! Typical - turns out I could have got money off for being road race secretary too. Doesn't make you warm to them when they hand out promotional codes for god knows what when longstanding members are paying full whack.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • jonmack
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Excellent, congratulations to everyone for conning money out of the body that looks after cyclists in the UK.

How is it a con if the code has been given out in the first place?
  • I missed this too, as I had to do it a hurry. £39 in the grand scheme of things is not that great.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I'm now a member until April 2012 :D
    More problems but still living....
  • amaferanga wrote:

same here...I paid £36 for silver provisional. Can't recall what I paid for it last year, so not sure if its a discount or not.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga wrote:

same here...I paid £36 for silver provisional. Can't recall what I paid for it last year, so not sure if its a discount or not.

I got Silver Membership and race licence for less than that :wink:
  • £34 for gold membership renewal (was silver) till 22/03/2012 and race licence till the end of the year!

Thanks to the person who posted the code.
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    I had used this a couple of weeks ago for a renewal. But i got a voicemail this morning from BC saying i wasn't eligible to use the code as it was for new members only, and to contact them to pay the extra £36 for the silver membership.

Seems a tad stupid to have a discount code which works even if you aren't eligible. Shouldn't be surprised though i guess. If i go down then i'm taking you all with me :lol:
  • Wouldn't be surprised.

Companies seem to regard new customers as better than their existing ones, they pay to attract new members, let them have discounted membership which is paid for by their existing membership

Very short-sighted of them as existing members don't ever seem to get that kind of incentive to remain members.
  • jonmack
    Guess I got lucky then, first time member here!
  • I've just tried 'CLUB4' and that gives a discount. I'm duboius about using it as apparently it's for first time members but it allowed me to use it and I'm not a new member.

Lets see if I get a call from BC Towers!
    Scott S40 Speedster
    Dialled Stay Strong MX20R

I no longer live in an ivory tower, these days it's vintage white :shock:
  • Skyride2 doesn't work any more.... but Club4 does. Thanks for the heads up. I've just saved £27 renewing my eldest 2 kids' memberships.
  • amaferanga
    I used the Skyride2 code. Just got a letter from BC membership saying there'd been a mistake and that I should call them to pay the extra. Cheeky buggers....
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Same here - thing is I already had a 2011 Silver membership I paid full whack for and only used the code to get a free membership (I got another half off for being a club coach - which they didn't give me when I got my paid membership) so I could get a race licence.

If the website would have just sold me a race licence without another membership everything would have been simple.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • alanf
    alanf Posts: 222
    If you are renewing not taking out new membership you will be contacted by phone email or letter not allowing the purchase. So dont bother putting it in, am a bit pi$$ed off that all the money from Sky couldnt be used to subsidise loyal members rather than trying to recruit new ones. :(
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
    I like
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!