smart r1 rear lights failing in recent cold weather

shefbiker
shefbiker Posts: 255
edited January 2011 in Commuting general
Hi. I've run the Smart rear LED lights for quite a few years without problems, but over the last month or so of cold weather, i've had two fail (one R1 and the other was it's predecessor).
Has anyone else had issues? Has anyone fixed them?
Thanks

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    How have they failed?

What issues have you had with them?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    My Smart rear light was on the blink this morning. I'm pretty sure it's because rain water got into it after I changed the battery last night and didn't replace the sellotape I put over where the two sections join.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Yup mine was failing in temperatures of maybe - 8 or more , not sure if it was an issue with the light itself or could it be a battery problem?
    FCN 3/5/9
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    So far my R1s have been fine (seatpost mounted). The 1/2 watt mounted on the chain stay has just been switching off in the cold weather though.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • My Smart 1/2 watt super flash failed.
    It failed to gain the attention of the stupid van driver that smashed into me with his wing mirror whilst I passed parked cars. It failed along with the cateye that I also use and the Altura night vision jacket that I was wearing with a flash harry hanging from it.
    I feel completely let down by all this useless kit that I have invested my money in.
    Maybe some one should invent a kind of stinger system that surrounds my bike creating a protective ring around me then I can stop buying lights all together and just sit in the middle of my safe zone and not worry about stupid mother plucking twots.

Ps this was the only way it failed still functioning fine despite miserable weather
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    My 1/2 watt smart failed last year, it became erratic and started swithching itself off and on, it was when it was very cold it started to play up, I think it was the casing that must have warped or something because it was fine just running without the case on.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll: